New to scanners, looking for specific features

Status
Not open for further replies.

towerboy

Feed Provider
Hello,
I come from an amateur radio background and have never had an actual scanner. I am looking for something that has the following capabilities.

1: Outputs alpha tags

2: P25

3: PC controllable with display GUI

Does something like this exist? I am mainly interested in the VHF band.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
All of the current models of Uniden digital scanners, other than the HP-2, are capable of what you indicate. You can use ProScan, which allows you to control the scanner with your computer. All output the alpha tags that you see on the scanner are output & can be seen in ProScan. I believe ARC536 and ARC-XT have similar options, but I don't have either of those software packages. ARC536 works for the 436HP & 536HP scanners, as well as the SDS100 & SDS200. ARC-XT covers the 325P2 and 996P2. ProScan covers all or the models; no second program needed.

towerboy

Feed Provider
Thank you for the reply. I will look at those models. I tried googling but was not able to find definitive answers.

towerboy

Feed Provider
Thank you for the chart. That helps a lot.

As far as the ProScan software goes, I am seeing conflicting reviews on the Uniden Scanners as to if the WiFi Dongle actually works. Can anyone confirm if that works? Remote control in a web browser would be really nice.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Thank you for the chart. That helps a lot.

As far as the ProScan software goes, I am seeing conflicting reviews on the Uniden Scanners as to if the WiFi Dongle actually works. Can anyone confirm if that works? Remote control in a web browser would be really nice.

On my SDS200, I have used both the RJ45 wired LAN connection, as well as a WiFi bridge:

And they both work flawlessly with ProScan for remote access.

towerboy

Feed Provider
Currently phase 1 but I have heard rumors that they will be switching to phase 2. Not sure how quick that will be as those rumors started a few years ago.

did you have a suggestion for just phase one?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Currently phase 1 but I have heard rumors that they will be switching to phase 2. Not sure how quick that will be as those rumors started a few years ago.

did you have a suggestion for just phase one?
The older Uniden 396XT & 996XT would handle Phase I only, and can be controlled with ProScan.

There is some PC control capability in the software packages that cover the Whistler WS1040 and WS1065. (That includes the previous models of the same scanner: PSR-500, PSR-600, Pro-106 and Pro-197. All of these were manufactured by GRE, which is no longer around). Whistler bought the rights to these scanners, and sells them as the WS1040 & WS1065. The Pro-651 & Pro-652 are the same scanners, manufactured by Whistler, but sold by RadioShack with the Shack's name on them.

I could be mistaken, but I don't believe you have the remote (PC) control features available with the Whistler database scanners (these all cover P25 Phase II as well as Phase I): WS1080, WS1088, WS1095, WS1098, TRX-1 & TRX-2.

Looking at your statewide system:

That system is P25 Phase II. While it does not yet include your county, notes on it's database page indicate it is still being expanded to additional areas. Frankly, as the P25 Phase II systems become more & more prevalent, either for newly built systems, or as an upgrade to an existing system, I would suggest focusing on a Phase II capable scanner. Phase I might work for now, but at some point, it's likely to be upgraded to Phase II, or replaced with a newer Phase II system.

towerboy

Feed Provider
OK, so I was leaning more toward a phase two unit, buy it once. What I am doing is streaming a mountain top camera and using an Icom portable currently as the audio side, listening to Sheriff and Fire. Local Police is P25 phase 1 so I can't have that in the scan list. The radio is also connected to the streaming pc via a serial cable and I am overlaying the radio screen on the camera feed as a visual representation of the audio that is heard, see screenshot. In essence, I want to be able to do that with whichever Uniden scanner I get but I also want to be able to from anywhere, control the scanner from a web browser and that is most likely going to be a phone. I see the tutorials on the ProScan webpage, I just wanted confirmation before dropping the cash on this project that this is going to deliver what I am looking for.

Attachments

• RoxyOBSGrab.JPG
    RoxyOBSGrab.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 15

Ubbe

The software in use have nothing to do with a specific WiFi or wired network connection, it's all in the dongle and your routers compatability with a specific WiFi dongle and network interface controller. All routers and all WiFi dongles should work in a perfect enviroment as they follow a standard, but some could have problems handling interferencies from other WiFi channels or electronic devices that emit RF interferencies or degrade when they get hot after some usage without enough cooling air around it. So one guys network gear might not work at another guys place, so is pretty much impossible to know what works and not until it is tried in a specific location. Exactly the same reasoning as with scanners, antennas, amplifiers, filters and settings are difficult to give any advice on what will work best at one unique location.

/Ubbe

Status
Not open for further replies.