New to scanners - Tampa

Status
Not open for further replies.

TVKat

Greetings! I have been interested in scanners for a long time, and recently my teenaged son voiced an interest as well, so I got one (I'm not home or I'd give you the model). I'm fairly tech-savvy, so I figured with a little work I could get it up and running. But alas, upon reading the manual and a bunch of Internet research, I am still lost.

Does anyone know of a user's group in the Tampa area? I was hoping to maybe get with someone who knew what they were doing to talk to me. I learn great when shown stuff, but not so great reading manuals I guess. As much as I love technology, humans are still much better...

Thank you all in advance.

Bolt21

Spark Chariot Driver
When you can, let us know what make/model scanner you have and what you want to listen to and we'll get you up and running in no time.

Last edited:

TVKat

My scanner

That would be great! I have a BC246T. I'm primarily interested in police/fire in Tampa and Temple Terrace. At least that's what we'll start with. But there are so many other cool things, like the airport and Busch Gardens... Thanks so much for the quick reply!!!

Bolt21

Spark Chariot Driver
I know you said you're not crazy about manuals, but give this a try - http://myweb.cableone.net/marksscanners/246/246.html - this is a much easier to read online manual that has helped many folks (including me) become familiar with their scanners. Most people find that factory manuals just aren't put together well. I don't have a BC246T, but I have a BCD396T, and being that they are similar in structure, I can tell you that they are fairly complex little scanners. Human assistance is nice, but I (and most other folks here) can tell you that there is NO substitute for reading the manual for your 246T. Out in the field, with no human help, it's nice to know your way around your radio.

Also, you'll want to look into using a scanner programming program. Eventually you will flat out lose your mind and wear your fingers down to a nub trying to program a complex radio like the 246T by hand.

Also, be aware that Temple Terrace's radio system (as well as Florida Highway Patrol) is encrypted, which means there is NO scanner on the market that can listen to it. However Tampa PD/FR, Hillsborough SO/FR, and the others you mentioned are no problem for the 246T.

So, check out that manual, and let us know if you need help!

EMD91123

OK here goes some Tampa Airport stuff

West Arrival/Departure-118.8
East Arrival/Departure-135.5
Final----------------------118.5
Tampa/Sarasota South Combined-119.65 and 134.25
Tampa Tower-119.5
VFR(Visual Flight Rules)-119.9
St. Pete Sector---125.3
St. Pete Tower---118.3

Orlando West Departure--120.15
Orlando East Departure--124.8