ProScan: New to Scanners - Using Sentinel and ProScan

shansmi

Premium Subscriber
After some discussion in the Uniden Tech Support area about ProScan, I took the plunge and purchased a key. I knew it has some features that Iike such as logging, remote control, recording and audio. All of that to get working only took minutes. Now what I have learned and I am running v19.7.1 and for now only connecting to the SDS200.

(1) ProScan helped me find an issue I did not even know was there. First thing I did was a scanner read. I noticed a favorites list that I had previously renamed in Sentinel. When pushed from Sentinel I was sure to delete all favorites with the checkbox and push new copies. I am not sure how that happened but it was evident in ProScan there was an issue. To be sure I deleted all the favorites from ProScan and did another pull - there again. To fix the issue I used Sentinel to wipe all device settings and push my custom settings, the full database and favorites (with the delete). This rogue favorites list was not there on next retrieval from ProScan. Strangest thing was the rogue list did not show up in the favorites list on the scanner. ??

(2) ProScan does NOT play very nice with ESET nod32. On launch as it does its update check it gets blocked. The same when I go to proscan.org. This means proscan.org and the IP are blacklisted in the wild. As a temp fix I whitelisted them locally.

(3) Looking at favorites, just a tad different than Sentinel - one must "File menu >> Import Sentinel database" to add a fav list. Ok not a biggie but I do not see the "download" option. I see the "monitor" option and "location control" but not download. Does this mean they are downloaded by default with or without monitoring enabled? Remember in Sentinel one has the ability to create but not download a favorites list. This comes in handy when running more than one scanner since fav lists are common to all scanners.

(4) All features seem to be working. I lost significant cool points having to read the manual and search around a bit to get logging turned off. For me this is something like recording that I will use on an "as needed" basis, not 24x7. A simple feature would be to add radio buttons to the logging screens or check boxes to enable / disable logging vs digging through the "Options menu >> logging tab".

My $0.02! Very nice program!!

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
ProScan does NOT play very nice with ESET nod32. On launch as it does its update check it gets blocked. The same when I go to proscan.org. This means proscan.org and the IP are blacklisted in the wild. As a temp fix I whitelisted them locally.
I think It's the script that sends the data to Paypal such as email address, registration name, and amount of licenses or it could be the script that checks if the email address is in the right format. I reported the false positive once to ESET and they got back with "our findings will stand" not giving me any clue on the exact problem. I'm going to look closer at this when I have time. I would think over time, a history would build where they could figure it out that it's a valid web page and scripts and it's https with a valid cert.
I do not see the "download" option. I see the "monitor" option and "location control" but not download. Does this mean they are downloaded by default with or without monitoring enabled? Remember in Sentinel one has the ability to create but not download a favorites list. This comes in handy when running more than one scanner since fav lists are common to all scanners.
First, let me say that I think the term "Download" is kind of misleading. A better term would be "Write" but besides that, before the write process has started, a pop up window will appear with options and the favorites lists to write (or download). Checking each favorite is the same as turning the download on. Each favorite is checked by default. So if a favorite is not checked then it will not write to the scanner.

My $0.02! Very nice program!!
Thank you very much!

Last edited:

shansmi

Premium Subscriber
I think It's the script that sends the data to Paypal such as email address, registration name, and amount of licenses or it could be the script that checks if the email address is in the right format. I reported the false positive once to ESET and they got back with "our findings will stand" not giving me any clue on the exact problem. I'm going to look closer at this when I have time. I would think over time, a history would build where they could figure it out that it's a valid web page and scripts and it's https with a valid cert.

First, let me say that I think the term "Download" is kind of misleading. A better term would be "Write" but besides that, before the write process has started, a pop up window will appear with options and the favorites lists to write (or download). Checking each favorite is the same as turning the download on. Each favorite is checked by default. So if a favorite is not checked then it will not write to the scanner.

Thank you very much!

Cool and you are welcome. That explains the fav list since I have not actually written to the scanner with ProScan. Make sense. I was hoping not to loose even more cool points for having to read the manual. :)

As for the ESET thing, I have been down this road before. This has to do with having all your DNS stuff done correctly. Forward and reverse lookups was our email issue. I had this happen to a buddy once with his email off a private domain. Yahoo shut him down and you would be surprised at how many sub services they host / control. Nobody would tell me exactly what the issue was. Google was the best resource. As you will see your domain and IP appear in 2 of the 99 lists. This is why ESET responded in that manner. They propagate and block based on these lists.