New To Scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuntry

MANY years ago my grandmother had a scanner that sat on top of the fridge. It had maybe a dozen LED's across the face that would lite up in order until a signal was located (my first intro to scanners), and you could hear everybody and everything, but that was up-wards of 30 years ago.

After some bad weather, a local fire, a motorcycle accident and just allot of activity in the area by public servants I decided I would get a scanner. I decided on the the PRO 97.....after doing some research it seemed to me to be the biggest bang for the buck...

So now I start bothering ya'll with the questions, are ya ready? Here goes....

While inputting channels has a steep learning curve to it, I can do it (I think...). But do standard freq's require that they be in order?

1. Where can a fella find a list of frequencies?
I have found a few here and there but there are several local authorities I can't seem to locate.

2. I understand the use of repeater towers (similar to re-trans in the military). But how can I or can hear the other side of the conversation. I can hear the dispatcher but not always the outlying signals.

3. Occasionally I will receive a signal strong enough to break squelch but it is a low hummmmmm. This happens on several frequencies. Is this common?

I am sure I have more but as I began typing I drew a blank....
I do look forward to sharing information and helping when I can...

Thanks

Last edited:

hoser147

Check the Database link on top of the page and go to your state, county, City. That will give you your freqs and what kind of systems are in your area. There is also a ton of info in the Wiki that link is also at the top of the page..Welcome to RR......................Hoser

ch40n1k

MANY years ago my grandmother had a scanner that sat on top of the fridge. It had maybe a dozen LED's across the face that would lite up in order until a signal was located (my first intro to scanners), and you could hear everybody and everything, but that was up-wards of 30 years ago.

After some bad weather, a local fire, a motorcycle accident and just allot of activity in the area by public servants I decided I would get a scanner. I decided on the the PRO 97.....after doing some research it seemed to me to be the biggest bang for the buck...

So now I start bothering ya'll with the questions, are ya ready? Here goes....

While inputting channels has a steep learning curve to it, I can do it (I think...). But do standard freq's require that they be in order?

1. Where can a fella find a list of frequencies?
I have found a few here and there but there are several local authorities I can't seem to locate.

2. I understand the use of repeater towers (similar to re-trans in the military). But how can I or can hear the other side of the conversation. I can hear the dispatcher but not always the outlying signals.

3. Occasionally I will receive a signal strong enough to break squelch but it is a low hummmmmm. This happens on several frequencies. Is this common?

I am sure I have more but as I began typing I drew a blank....
I do look forward to sharing information and helping when I can...

Thanks

A Premium subscription to this site (Radioreference.com) and a copy of Win97 (www.starrsoft.com) will allow you to easily connect your scanner to your computer and import frequencies for your locale. You will need to purchase a usb scanner cable from radio shack. (Part number 20-047 $32.99)

Using software to program your radio will simplify the process greatly.

LEH

Premium Subscriber
I just hope that Kuntry does not live in an area where they are digital.

The PRO-97 is a good scanner and is one of the best 'bang for the bucks' out there. It's major drawback is if you need to listen to digital. The 97 cannot do that. Currently only the PRO-96, the GRE PSR-500 and Uniden's 396 (there are a couple of older digital scanners on the market, but they do not support new digital systems).

One thing that would help point you in the right direction is to know where you live (general city, state) so we can help you understand the data base.

I wouldn't describe digital as a low hmmmm, it is more like hearing a motorboat (if you see someone say their radio is 'motorboating' this is what they are probably talking about) or chainsaw.

If a system uses encryption (which is different than digital), the radio sounds like 'R2D2' from Star Wars.

So welcome to Radio Reference and good scanning with your 97.

LEH

Premium Subscriber
His signature states Polk County WI. http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=3100

The only digital I see there is the Wisconsin Department of Corrections ... neighboring counties look the same way.

Helps if one scrolls down past the body of the message doesn't it.

Yep so unless you want to hear calling inmates to dinner, door X open or closed, etc. Then the 97 is a good choice.

SAR923

The low hum could very well be a CTCSS tone. Some radio systems have a pretty loud, theoretically subauduble CTCSS tone. The CHP is one of the worst, with the tone being loud enough to be really annoying on some CHP frequencies.

Kuntry

Thanks for the welcomes ya'll....

Prior to the purchase I did call the sheriffs department and ask the digital question. I got a "well kinda sorta......" Seems the sheriffs department has the capability in the dispatcher office and in one car, they have been this way for 2 years, but nobody else in the county has the $$$$$ so the sheriffs dept stopped the digi race. He also said they also use encryption on high vis cases. The LT I spoke with said that for 95% of the traffic they use standard freq's.
So is there anything I can do to pick up the outlying patrols that are beyond normal reception....
I appreciate the link to the reference freq page but the listing is incomplete (IE Osceola Police Dept). Any suggestions for something like this? If I call or swing by the office will they look at me like I have a big weenie on my forehead if I ask them for it?

Status
Not open for further replies.