New to scanning an have trouble programming whistler 1065 with arc500 software

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dbucks63

Premium Subscriber
Can anybody tell me if I will be able to use my whistler 1065 scanner to listen to Newport county fire departments? I just bought the ARC500 software after I tried and failed to program the 1065 By hand. so I bought a computer and the program to do it the right way. problem is I downloaded the Newport county departments into the program I selected all zones when I did so and I can not hear any of them. I live in tiverton and I can not get them on my scanner but if I turn my app on on my phone I hear them no problem. any advice would be great I have a little money invested and would like to enjoy it!
Thanks

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Can anybody tell me if I will be able to use my whistler 1065 scanner to listen to Newport county fire departments? I just bought the ARC500 software after I tried and failed to program the 1065 By hand. so I bought a computer and the program to do it the right way. problem is I downloaded the Newport county departments into the program I selected all zones when I did so and I can not hear any of them. I live in tiverton and I can not get them on my scanner but if I turn my app on on my phone I hear them no problem. any advice would be great I have a little money invested and would like to enjoy it!
Thanks
OK thats a good radio from what I have read on here.. You should be able to listen to Newport County Fire Depts no problem. The Police in Newport city are encrypted. I am not familiar with the Whistler radios or arc500 software. I have all Uniden scanners and use Freescan or Sentinel to program them. The newer scanners are hard and inconvenient to hand program. You might be better off going to the Whistler forum on here to get help and also the programming software forum too for ARC500.

oilmillcharlie

Premium Subscriber
Did you program the new east zone in your radio? I have a WS-1065 and could hear Newport when they were on the south zone but I no longer hear them on that zone.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Did you program the new east zone in your radio? I have a WS-1065 and could hear Newport when they were on the south zone but I no longer hear them on that zone.
The EAST site doesn't come in good at all here in Cranston for some reason. Newport fire is on RISCON East zone. But reception is terrible even with my new SDS200. I can receive North and South zones perfectly. PROV zone is a little flaky at times but EAST is almost non listenable. They might be using directional antennas? People who live near coast have no problem hearing them. I have a huge hill blocking my reception to the east so that may be the issue.

wa1lad

No directional antennas in the East Zone. And, heard it loud and clear on Chopmist Hill Rd in North Scituate yesterday.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
No directional antennas in the East Zone. And, heard it loud and clear on Chopmist Hill Rd in North Scituate yesterday.
You have the nice high elevation in North Scituate! We are between 2 hills, the western Cranston hills and Dean Estates.....I can receive the east zone with maybe 2 or 3 bars to full scale but the audio is very garbled. Right now recieving it with 4 bars (sds200). It is probably my location. My antenna cant see above the horizon to the east. My elevation is 88 feet. The hill to my east is 170 feet. It is a gentle slope up to top. Then on other side it goes back down to below 88 feet. I might take the sds200 mobile and see what reception of RISCON is like in different locations. I am thinking my problem is a combination of location and signal overlap from the NORTH and PROV towers close to me. But thats just a guess. In the picture it shows my house next to yellow line...the red line is where the land starts rising up above to horizon. So I have this massive wall to my east pretty close to me.

Attachments

• hill.JPG
    hill.JPG
    100 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Dbucks63

Premium Subscriber

What program do you use to program it? I bought the ARC500 software after I tried to program by hand. I will attach some photos of what I am looking at but I don't know if I am Missing a setting. because everything that I think I programmed in does not work. not even Tiverton which I live a half mile from the tower. I don't know if you can see what I'm doing wrong by the photos I have attached. maybe I need to do a factory rest or I am missing a step. I select what I want.. I hit import..... I save it... then I click upload to scanner and it should be programmed right?
Thanks for the help

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Hmmmmm it might not be the programming. I am not familiar with the software you are using. You COULD try a free trial version of Proscan, which I am familiar with, mostly. Forget programming by hand. Next to impossible to get it all 100% correct. By the way it looks you have everything set right. But check your MENU in radio. When you are in MENU check "Set scan selection" and then click "Select lists to Monitor" to make sure your system is actually in there. You will see "Full Database" which should be "OFF"......under that "Search with scan" which should be "OFF" and anything else listed should be the system you imported from your software. Also go back to "MENU"......click on "Select service types" and turn "ON" all the services you want to monitor. I turned them all on except aircraft. So check these 2 areas under MENU. Also you can check if anything is "AVOIDED" or locked out. Try these things first. I got a "Nothing to scan" error a few times when I first got radio cause all the service types were "OFF".

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
BTW I wasn't receiving the EAST zone good here at all for the longest time. I ended up today pointing my yagi more to the southeast and now its coming in pretty good along with the Massachusetts state police. I didn't have much luck using vertical antennas. For some reason the yagi picks up every zone very well with a few glitchy audio problems from PROV and EAST but not bad. You are in Tiverton so you should have good reception there. You could probably get a ton of analog stuff from there too.

Nascar18

Premium Subscriber
What program do you use to program it? I bought the ARC500 software after I tried to program by hand. I will attach some photos of what I am looking at but I don't know if I am Missing a setting. because everything that I think I programmed in does not work. not even Tiverton which I live a half mile from the tower. I don't know if you can see what I'm doing wrong by the photos I have attached. maybe I need to do a factory rest or I am missing a step. I select what I want.. I hit import..... I save it... then I click upload to scanner and it should be programmed right?
Thanks for the help
View attachment 89037
View attachment 89038

View attachment 89039
Dbucks when you turn on the scanner press the #1,2,3 button and hit scan.

oilmillcharlie

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the help
View attachment 89037
View attachment 89038

View attachment 89039
You might have global attenuation turned on. Big "G". Not familiar with Arc500 so not positive.

Nascar18

Premium Subscriber
Another thing to try turn on scanner and push the WX button until you hear a weather boardcast!! If you do the problem is between the Pc and scanner. Try putting the usb cable in a different slot. Of course unplug from scanner. When you upload the file check to make sure you have a Com port selected.

Last edited:

Dbucks63

Premium Subscriber
Another thing to try turn on scanner and push the WX button until you hear a weather boardcast!! If you do the problem is between the Pc and scanner. Try putting the usb cable in a different slot. Of course unplug from scanner. When you upload the file check to make sure you have a Com port selected.
So I do get the weather which is why I know its me.. I pushed 123 and hit scan and it says nothing enabled.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
You might have global attenuation turned on. Big "G". Not familiar with Arc500 so not positive.

When you see the G in the display, it indicates that the global attenuation mode is available, but not functioning (or not turned on)... there is no attenuation of any signal coming in to the scanner.

When you see GA in the display, it means that the global attenuation mode is available, and it is functioning (or turned on).... to attenuate all signals that the scanner is receiving.

You can also attenuate individual signals while not in the global mode.

Dbucks63

Premium Subscriber
When you see the G in the display, it indicates that the global attenuation mode is available, but not functioning (or not turned on)... there is no attenuation of any signal coming in to the scanner.

When you see GA in the display, it means that the global attenuation mode is available, and it is functioning (or turned on).... to attenuate all signals that the scanner is receiving.

You can also attenuate individual signals while not in the global mode.

I turned that off, to see if that will do anything

Nascar18

Premium Subscriber
Dbucks, Put the scanner in manual with the toggle button left and right arrows toggle to bank 1 make sure you have it on. Then toggle down you should have the TGs there as you toggle down. If not the file transfer is not right.

Status
Not open for further replies.