New to scanning BCD996XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tmkemp79

Premium Subscriber
Hey there, I'm new to scanning all together but I had to get the Uniden BCD996XT. I feel ive done pretty well downloading freescan and programming the scanner as much as I have. But there are still a couple confusing parts about this whole process. For instance ive programmed the following counties from Virginia into it, Henrico, New Kent, James City and Richmond. These are the most traveled to counties for me. How exactly would I just switch back and forth between lets say Henrico PD to James City Sheriff? Also any other tips for organizing these groups would be great maybe some pointer for a new guy? Thanks!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
When you say 'switch back' do you mean during scanning or manually? During scanning, once Henrico PD's transmission stops (and whatever hold/delay you've put on that system expires) it goes to the next active channel. It might go to James City or it might go somewhere else depending on the order you've set up.

Groups are very much an individual thing - how you organize your groups is no more or less correct than someone else. Even how you lay out your quick keys is pretty much up to you. It depends on what you want to hear, and what's most important from your viewpoint. No one else's

However we can give you lots of links to get you over the hump of understanding these radios. A good place to start would be the Easier to Read manuals, the links for which can be found at the bottom of the article below (links are always blue)

Program your DMA Scanner - The RadioReference Wiki

Mike

Tmkemp79

Premium Subscriber
ka3jjz what I mean is during scanning, I cant figure out how (if I change my mind) to lock on to a specific group or channel. I know I can hold it but id like to be able to enter a memorized number to go straight too Henrico PD or straight to what ever. I know theres a way I just cant seem to figure it out. I think its the way im programming it via freescan? Any tips to better organize myself?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
ka3jjz what I mean is during scanning, I cant figure out how (if I change my mind) to lock on to a specific group or channel. I know I can hold it but id like to be able to enter a memorized number to go straight too Henrico PD or straight to what ever. I know theres a way I just cant seem to figure it out. I think its the way im programming it via freescan? Any tips to better organize myself?
Sounds like you are thinking of Number Tags.

Tmkemp79

Premium Subscriber
hiegtx I think your right. Im sorry im pretty new to all these new terms!

Status
Not open for further replies.