New to Scanning, DuComm and Simulcast Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

EMSheriff

Greetings,

I am new to scanning. I have been listening on broadcastify for a while now but I am going to purchase an actual scanner. I live in Wheaton, DuPage County, Illinois.

I am going to buy an analog scanner. I know that means I will not be able to listen to a lot, but spending the money to on a nice digital scanner, or any digital scanner doesn't make a whole lot of sense right now. I would like a portable scanner. My main priority is that I can listen to VHF marine and railroads, which should be able to be heard on any functioning analog scanner, right? As for everything else, I will listen to whatever else my scanner can pick up, just have fun with it. I have been considering the Whistler ws1010. I would like to listen to CB and I know the Whistler ws1010 does not cover that frequency range, I don't know if that is make or beak. I have found a lot of analog scanners don't seem to cover the CB range.

As far as public safety goes, my main interest if Fire/EMS. I listen to a lot of DuComm on broadcastify and I am aware that it is simulcast on the legacy VHF channels. My main question is do I need a trunking analog scanner or will a non trunking analog scanner pick up DuComm simulcast?

I hope I am not too far off on my scanning concepts. I appreciate any help, thanks.

rk911

Rich
Premium Subscriber
You should be fine for the foreseeable future listening to DU-COMM fire with an analog scanner. the City of Wheaton, the city park district, Cantigny park, the UPRR and commuter trains coming thru town are all analog. be sure to program in the fire ground freqs also. police, sheriff, state are all digital trunked and, for now anyway, not encrypted. I'm also in Wheaton. reach out if you need help.

'73 Rich, N9DKO

kevino

Database Administrator
Database Admin
Du Page County VHF fire freqs are conventional analog, no need for trunking if your scanner doesn't do trunking. VHF railroad freqs are slated to go digital (NXDN) at some point, though.

Kevin

EMSheriff

You should be fine for the foreseeable future listening to DU-COMM fire with an analog scanner. the City of Wheaton, the city park district, Cantigny park, the UPRR and commuter trains coming thru town are all analog. be sure to program in the fire ground freqs also. police, sheriff, state are all digital trunked and, for now anyway, not encrypted. I'm also in Wheaton. reach out if you need help.

'73 Rich, N9DKO

Thank you very much for the info. Nice to see someone else in Wheaton and appreciate the offer for help. I will go ahead with an analog scanner and begin saving for a digital scanner in the future.

Evan

EMSheriff

Du Page County VHF fire freqs are conventional analog, no need for trunking if your scanner doesn't do trunking. VHF railroad freqs are slated to go digital (NXDN) at some point, though.

Kevin
Thanks. I'll go with the standard analog for now and begin saving for a digital scanner in the future.

Evan

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
I have a Uniden 346xt analog scanner im not using anymore because here in my area its all digital.....

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
For a new analog scanner I would recommend the Uniden BC125AT over the Whistler WS1010. For only $5 more the BC125AT has a much better display that can show the name of each channel, has 300 more channels, can receive CB and can be programmed with free software. The WS1010 only shows the frequency of each channel (no name) and requires paid software to program ($10-20).

For the right price the Uniden 346XT scanner mentioned by RoninJoliet is an even better scanner and can receive analog trunking (if that in in your area).

EMSheriff

RoninJoliet, thanks for the response. Just out of curiosity, what are you currently using to pick up digital?

SteveSimpkin, I appreciate the info. It sounds that the BC125AT is a good analog scanner. It is cool that it can pick up CB, has a better display, and 300 additional channels over the WS1010 is pretty nice.

But as was mentioned (and from what I saw on its wiki page), the Uniden 346XT is a really good analog scanner especially if it could be had for a good price. But as a college student, I am placing a bit more weight on the price aspect of a new scanner given my funds are limited. This would steer me more towards the BC125AT which seems like an excelent scanner to start off with.

Blunt630

Id say start saving up for a digital scanner asap, you can find some decent used ones on eBay. I have a 396xt that works pretty well.

EMSheriff

Blunt360, thanks for the advice. From what I saw the 396XT does not seem to cover P25 Phase II. Is that ever an issue for you? The research that I have already done, shows all public safety anywhere around me is already on P25 Phase II. When I eventually purchase a digital scanner I would like it to be Phase II compatible.

Evan

Blunt630

You are correct it does not cover Phase 2 but many agencies are not on Phase 2 yet so until everyone switches to phase 2, phase 1 will still be used. It's going to be a while before everyone goes phase 2. My SDS100 is my daily scanner, my 396xt is still used regularly.

VASCAR2

I bought a Uniden BCD325P2 used and it has been a very good hand held scanner. The BCD325P2 is Phase 2 capable and can be upgraded to NXDN in the future. The BCD325P2 isn’t perfect on simulcast systems but still does pretty well depending on your location.

There are a couple of very good buys on hand held Uniden scanners in the RR classified section.

AC9BX

For analog only, especially considering there's little analog trunking left (at least not around greater Chicagoland) I wouldn't buy a new model. They do have some nice bells and whistles but for a few tens of dollars (or less) you can get a used analog only scanner that will cover VHF public safety, business, rail, maritime, amateur, aircraft, and a bunch more. You may find one covering CB. Just for fun I looked on Craigslist, Radio Shack Pro51__$60 (too much), Pro-83__$38obo, Pro-92__$35 (a pretty nice radio).
Keep in mind some older ones like the 92 do not support the rebanded UHF or narrowband. Sometimes you can work around either of those issues. Sometimes it doesn't matter. Some like the Pro-83 work with NiMH batteries. Save up for a full-featured new model.

EMSheriff

You are correct it does not cover Phase 2 but many agencies are not on Phase 2 yet so until everyone switches to phase 2, phase 1 will still be used. It's going to be a while before everyone goes phase 2. My SDS100 is my daily scanner, my 396xt is still used regularly.

What is that you primarily monitor? If it is Public Safety, what agencies?

EMSheriff

I bought a Uniden BCD325P2 used and it has been a very good hand held scanner. The BCD325P2 is Phase 2 capable and can be upgraded to NXDN in the future. The BCD325P2 isn’t perfect on simulcast systems but still does pretty well depending on your location.

There are a couple of very good buys on hand held Uniden scanners in the RR classified section.

Thanks for directing me to the classified section, there is some good stuff on there.

EMSheriff

AC9BX, I appreciate all the info. Thanks for talking about analog trunking, that was my major question when starting this thread - whether it still existed to the point that I should look to accommodate it. I have gone for analog non-trunking.

I do agree with your point of not going new for an analog scanner. Buying used will save a bit, especially important when the end goal is to by a digital scanner eventually. I did recently purchase a scanner, just a couple of days ago. I found a very lightly used Whistler WS1010 for $31 on ebay (a 200 channel model). With the price being so low and having been reduced at that, I figured I would just get it. It is supposed to arrive on Monday (09/16/19).

But I never did think to look on Craigslist. With you having mentioned it, I did go on and have a look. I did see that Pro-92 for $35. I went and looked on its wiki page, it seems to be a nice scanner plus it has many more channels. Would you recommend that I should resell the WS1010 at some point and try to obtain the Pro-92 or should I just hang on to the WS1010?

Evan

Blunt630

Blunt360, thanks for the advice. From what I saw the 396XT does not seem to cover P25 Phase II. Is that ever an issue for you? The research that I have already done, shows all public safety anywhere around me is already on P25 Phase II. When I eventually purchase a digital scanner I would like it to be Phase II compatible.

Evan
What is that you primarily monitor? If it is Public Safety, what agencies?

I monitor everything from local, county, and state.

EMSheriff

In my scanner I have been able to get DuComm dispatch (N, S, E, W) just fine. It has been mentioned that I should also be sure to program the fire ground frequencies. But I seem to be having a hard time finding those fire ground freqs. I was able to spot on the DuComm page that it notes fire ground orange is 769.00625. Is that the only ground fire frequency used? So, if I was near a scene I could hear the comms between fire personnel on scene?

One more question...From what I have read, I gather that the Addison Consolodated Dispatch Center has fire dispatched on digital but then patched to VHF like DuComm. What are the fire ground frequencies used for those departments?

JohnnyGent

Banned
Banned
In my scanner I have been able to get DuComm dispatch (N, S, E, W) just fine. It has been mentioned that I should also be sure to program the fire ground frequencies. But I seem to be having a hard time finding those fire ground freqs. I was able to spot on the DuComm page that it notes fire ground orange is 769.00625. Is that the only ground fire frequency used? So, if I was near a scene I could hear the comms between fire personnel on scene?

One more question...From what I have read, I gather that the Addison Consolodated Dispatch Center has fire dispatched on digital but then patched to VHF like DuComm. What are the fire ground frequencies used for those departments?

Status
Not open for further replies.