New to Scanning, looking for advise

Status
Not open for further replies.

runutzzzzz

Hi all! I'm new to scanners and have played with the RS pro-96.
I read all this "re-banding" what exactly is that?
I know it's a matter of opinion but what is the best portable scanner out there?
Also what is the best scanner that won't get out dated anytime soon?

Thanks!

n4voxgill

Silent Key
no scanner can say for sure that they will work after rebanding, as there are no rebanded motorola systems to check them on. Very likely the top uniden and radio shack will, but no gurantee. Rebanding is moving the public safety from the 866 to 869 down to 851-865 MHz. this is to eliminate interference with nextel and other carriers.

runutzzzzz

kokomo1 said:
Is your area digital or going digital anytime soon? Do you want a base or handheld?

I'm not sure, I'd assume I'm in a digital area. I'm west of DC in Northern Virginia.
Looking for a handheld.

Thanks!

runutzzzzz

n4voxgill said:
no scanner can say for sure that they will work after rebanding, as there are no rebanded motorola systems to check them on. Very likely the top uniden and radio shack will, but no gurantee. Rebanding is moving the public safety from the 866 to 869 down to 851-865 MHz. this is to eliminate interference with nextel and other carriers.

So everyone is assuming that the Pro96 and the 396 "should" be able to deal with the rebanding?

Thanks

K9GTJ

I think the 396 would be the most likely scanner to support rebanding. It is a great scanner and I would guess you have plenty of digital in your area living near DC.

car2back

Here's the wiki about rebanding: http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Rebanding it has ALOT of good information for you to read.

runutzzzzz said:
So everyone is assuming that the Pro96 and the 396 "should" be able to deal with the rebanding?

Both Uniden & Radio Shack have released statements that they will provide rebanding support for the 396 & Pro-96, respectively once it's over with and they know what they need to fix.

Last edited:

davidd2957

runutzzzzz said:
I'm not sure, I'd assume I'm in a digital area. I'm west of DC in Northern Virginia.
Looking for a handheld.

Thanks!
Can you be more specific about the area you want to monitor beyond Virginia such as county (parish) and city (or town) ?

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi Nutz and all,

"I read all this "re-banding" what exactly is that?"

Something that you needn't worry about although some think it's the end of the world. I really don't worry about that either.

"I know it's a matter of opinion but what is the best portable scanner out there?"

Why ask for a gazillion opinions when the only one that matters is your own? Do your homework and decide which best suits your purposes, that's what's best for you regardless of what anybody else thinks.

"Also what is the best scanner that won't get out dated anytime soon?"

As it is with computers there just ain't no such animal. When you get home and open the box there's already something bigger and better filling that empty spot on the shelf where yours just came from. Never try to keep up with the Joneses, just sitting back and watching them chasing thier tails is fun and more economical.

Status
Not open for further replies.