new to scanning/streaming....

Status
Not open for further replies.

wrcooke

Hello all!
I do hope none of the following is "restricted" to be spoken.
This started as simply trying to find a police scanner stream on line - which I found for our location - Ottawa. It is not the local detachment however which brings me to the question. How does this stuff get to an on line stream? Doing a bit of web searches but not too much coming up. Would the local detachment be coming online soon? It seems to be strange given the amount of police scanners I can find on the iphone but not our local fellows. Is this a fair q to ask?

This is far more intense a subject than I perhaps gave credit for.

Thanks

Bill

roots

well, for a feed to be online someone has to decide and put there scanner UP on here...

currently you can listen to Ottawa (Paramedic, Fire, OPP). The Ottawa Police is currently in Pro-Voice and no scanner can decode this for now.

when you talking about local detachment, what do you mean?

regards,

wrcooke

I was not sure if exact names could be used so I was just a bit over cautious. Indeed it is the local Ottawa Police. We are listening to the OPP scans on the web andI have it on my phone as well. The Ottawa Police is much more convenient for us to listen to. I was not sure if this was a service just picking up feeds and streaming them, if so when Ottawa would be up. Was not even sure if talking about listening was "legal". I had once thought it was illegal to listen to police bands and I was surprised to see scanners sold for such purposes.
Thanks for your reply.

Bill

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Talking about listening isn't illegal at all. Basically you aren't supposed to divulge anything you hear to others.... which is kind of where the streams get into a grey area in my opinion, not to mention you are rebroadcasting a private transmission (without the express written consent of Major League Baseball).

Typically the only discussions that are frowned upon here relate to surveillance/undercover type stuff. It's exciting to hear and people like to share when they hear it, but it's not the wisest thing to do. Most of it is encrypted most of the time, and when you hear something that should be, but isn't... you don't really want to be advertising that. And again, it's not so much a 'rule' per-say as just a good guideline.

Nice to see someone err on the side of caution for a change though! :)

Back to your original questions... The majority of the streams provided here are from fellow hobbyists that have taken the time and equipment to setup a dedicated feed. If there isn't one for your area then it typically just means nobody has set one up. On a few occasions, I've seen some US departments themselves setup online feeds right from the consoles in the radio rooms. Quality of course is excellent and they seem to view it as a good PR thing. Lets the public know whats up, and they will on occasion possibly get some good intel from the listeners regarding current calls (missing persons, suspects from crimes etc etc)

roots

like Forts said, the feed are made available on RR by a fellow hobbyists. The feed you currently listen for Ottawa is what you will get, the Ottawa Police will probably never be added because they are PV and no scanner can decode that.

Status
Not open for further replies.