New To scanning (told to try posting this here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

McRayJ

Hello all, my 1st post, and a few questions to ask, im intrested in Radio scanning, and mainly Avation, now is it possible for me to buy a ICOM IC-R5 or a Alinco DJ-X3 HandheldS, and use that from my home to pick up my local airports communications? does any body have a good place to start? as i stated i am completly new to scanning and am not sure if i would need a "base station?" or can i use a handheld reciver? will the hand held reciver have the range required to pick up the signal?
i am willing to spend up to £150 on my 1st scanner if any one would be willing to give me a push in the right direction.
thanks.

ReceiverBeaver

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hey guy and welcome RR.com!

Any VHF capable (which is essentially all of them) handheld scanner should do a good job for you. You certainly don't need the biggest-best. Cruise your local pawn shops or ebay and buy a decent used one. You can probably get such a basic scanner for around $50.

good luck

DPD1

The thing that will control how far you hear the most, is the antenna, not the radio. An exterior antenna will hear a lot more stuff than one indoors, or a rubber one. If you mainly plan to listen at home and want good reception... You'll probably want to go with a base model. They handle external antennas better.

One thing you might have to check on some older radios, is whether they do the new Euro freq step that they use for the VHF aviation band. And if you want UHF mil air, you'll need to get a radio that does that. But VHF air... The most basic radios will do that.

Dave
http://www.dpdproductions.com
- Custom Scanner, Aviation, MURS, GMRS, Marine & Ham Antennas -

McRayJ

ok, thanks very much ill try getting hold of a hand held radio and let you know my succes or failure on my first attempt.

Status
Not open for further replies.