New To Scanning, What Scanner Do You Recommend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeremy1873

Hi, I'm new to scanners and I'm just starting out for the first time. I'm looking for hand held radio that scans fire/ems/police traffic and that is compatible with those areas/links down below. Which scanners would be good for an ammeter and that isn't extremely expensive. If you mind listing them for the lowest price recommend scanner, to the medium priced recommended scanner, then to the highest priced recommend scanner so I can get general idea. Thank you so much.

ramblin82

If simulcast isn't an issue then the cheapest handheld is the BCD325P2, which can also do NXDN & DMR with paid upgrade. The next expensive scanner would be the BCD436HP which can also do NXDN & DMR. The most expensive is the SDS100 which can do all the modes the other two can plus handle simulcast. Here's the current prices bare without any extra paid accessories. It's cheaper to purchase the digital upgrades from " myUniden - Customer Product Registration and Support Area " and put in the keys yourself. You could also check into the Whistler TRX-1 handheld. The Icom IC-R30 is expensive but doesn't do trunking, simulcast, or DMR.

1. BCD325P2 ($340.99 Bearcat Warehouse)
2. BCD436HP ($455.99 Bearcat Warehouse)
3. SDS100 ($649.99 Bearcat Warehouse, handles simulcast)

Last edited:

Jeremy1873

If simulcast isn't an issue then the cheapest handheld is the BCD325P2, which can also do NXDN & DMR with paid upgrade. The next expensive scanner would be the BCD436HP which can also do NXDN & DMR. The most expensive is the SDS100 which can do all the modes the other two can plus handle simulcast. Here's the current prices bare without any extra paid accessories. It's cheaper to purchase the digital upgrades from " myUniden - Customer Product Registration and Support Area " and put in the keys yourself. You could also check into the Whistler TRX-1 handheld. The Icom IC-R30 is expensive but doesn't do trunking, simulcast, or DMR.

Thank you, just had a question. What did you mean by “if simulcast isn't an issue” is there a way to find out if it is or isn’t?

ramblin82

Unfortunately I'm not from your state, so I'm not sure if you have simulcast in your area or not. However since you're in California I'd be willing to make a bet that your area probably has simulcast. My city doesn't have simulcast but the next city over from me (Evansville, IN) has p25 simulcast, so my other scanners seem to miss/skip most the traffic. However my SDS200 base scanner gets all the traffic.

Last edited:

Jeremy1873

Unfortunately I'm not from your state, so I'm not sure if you have simulcast in your area or not. However since you're in California I'd be willing to make a bet that your area probably has simulcast. My city doesn't have simulcast but the next city over from me (Evansville, IN) has p25 simulcast, so my other scanners seem to miss/skip most the traffic. However my SDS200 base scanner gets all the traffic.
Ahh I see what you mean. Yeah in my area there is a simulcast. Does that change the recommendations?

ramblin82

The only scanners that handle simulcast are the SDS100 handheld & the SDS200 base. I believe the only other options for monitoring simulcast are to purchase a "unication pager" or get two PC controlled SDR USB dongles with "DSDPlus Fast Lane $10.00" or OP25 free software. The Nooelec or RTL-SDR brand dongles are cheap/decent.

Sometimes you can find used scanners a tiny bit cheaper in the RR classifieds area, or take a chance on a used eBay scanner.

Last edited:

Jeremy1873

The only scanners that handle simulcast are the SDS100 handheld & the SDS200 base. I believe the only other options for monitoring simulcast are to purchase a "unication pager" or get two PC controlled SDR USB dongles with "DSDPlus Fast Lane $10.00" or OP25 free software. The Nooelec or RTL-SDR brand dongles are cheap/decent.

Sometimes you can find used scanners a tiny bit cheaper in the RR classified area, or take a chance on a used eBay scanner.
I’ll probably get a SDS100, but do I need those upgrades? Like the DMR thingy or whatever that is or a better antenna?

ramblin82

You won't need DMR or NXDN upgrades for p25 simulcast. However an optional 800mhz (Remtronix SMA) antenna upgrade might improve reception. Check the site below to see if you have any NXDN or DMR digital in your area. (Hopefully site is up to date.)

Last edited:

Jeremy1873

You won't need DMR or NXDN upgrades for p25 simulcast. However an optional 800mhz (Remtronix SMA) antenna upgrade might improve reception. Check the site below to see if you have any NXDN or DMR digital in your area.

If I did it right i don’t know if I did it right, but pretty sure I did. Nothing came up.

marksmith

I agree completely with all of the recommendations that have been provided. In the case of DMR & NXDN, you can always add those later if you want them but I would not get them to start. They are just online purchases of a code to enter in the radio at a later date. I own all the radios mentioned.

fredva

Feed Provider
You'll want the SDS-100 to avoid problems with simulcast. It's more expensive, but that's a function of trying to monitor radio systems that have become more sophisticated and expensive. Note that some of the police agencies in your county are encrypted and can't be monitored by any scanner, so be aware of that before you make your purchase.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Note that some of the police agencies in your county are encrypted and can't be monitored by any scanner, so be aware of that before you make your purchase.
Encrypted talkgroups are ID'ed as Mode "DE" or "TE", these cannot be monitored. A scanner can only monitor those talkgroups IDed as Mode "D" "T" or "A" (also "M" but mixed analog/digital talkgroups are rare).

Jeremy1873

I had another look at the links you gave at the top here and seen a few DMR & NXDN systems at bottom where it says "All Trunked Radio System in San Diego County". Mainly the zoo, schools, or businesses.

I don’t really mind those. As long as I can scan the fire/ems/Pd I’m good

I agree completely with all of the recommendations that have been provided. In the case of DMR & NXDN, you can always add those later if you want them but I would not get them to start. They are just online purchases of a code to enter in the radio at a later date. I own all the radios mentioned.

I see, thanks you.

Encrypted talkgroups are ID'ed as Mode "DE" or "TE", these cannot be monitored. A scanner can only monitor those talkgroups IDed as Mode "D" "T" or "A" (also "M" but mixed analog/digital talkgroups are rare).

Thanks for the info. So I cannot scan anything with DE or TE.

You'll want the SDS-100 to avoid problems with simulcast. It's more expensive, but that's a function of trying to monitor radio systems that have become more sophisticated and expensive. Note that some of the police agencies in your county are encrypted and can't be monitored by any scanner, so be aware of that before you make your purchase.
Thank you for making me aware about the encryptions. I’ll be sure to re read all the talk groups again

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
By the end of the year, the only things to monitor will be SDPD and SDFD on their 700MHz Phase 1 system, and county FD agencies on the RCS 800MHz Phase 1/2 system. There is nothing public safety using DMR or NXDN in San Diego. I had a 536HP previously and it did not work well with the simulcast systems at that time. I would stick with an SDS series scanner, or even a Unication G4/G5 but those are limited to 7/800 trunking only, and the scan is limited to one system at a time. For remote scanning, I use WS1098 Whistler scanners, which work well but can distort if not in just the right spot. Stay away from TRX series scanners, they have massive simulcast issues possible.

A state mandate is causing ALL law enforecement agencies in the County to go full encryption, with only SDPD saying they will stay in the clear, and also CHP is not encryption capable so they will stay clear for the foreseable future.

Paul

Jeremy1873

By the end of the year, the only things to monitor will be SDPD and SDFD on their 700MHz Phase 1 system, and county FD agencies on the RCS 800MHz Phase 1/2 system. There is nothing public safety using DMR or NXDN in San Diego. I had a 536HP previously and it did not work well with the simulcast systems at that time. I would stick with an SDS series scanner, or even a Unication G4/G5 but those are limited to 7/800 trunking only, and the scan is limited to one system at a time. For remote scanning, I use WS1098 Whistler scanners, which work well but can distort if not in just the right spot. Stay away from TRX series scanners, they have massive simulcast issues possible.

A state mandate is causing ALL law enforecement agencies in the County to go full encryption, with only SDPD saying they will stay in the clear, and also CHP is not encryption capable so they will stay clear for the foreseable future.

Paul

Hello, thank you for the information and recommendations. I’ll definitely be looking in the SDS100. It sounds like you were/are in SD county, if you are. I’m so glad I managed to get your insight on things.

Jeremy1873

So

To confirm all I would need to do is program the decimal into my scanner manually. So program TG-727 into the SDS100?

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Using the keypad you could enter your zip code, or more simply go to the favorites menu and just add the RCS and SD City systems to favorites lists, then make sure you activate all the different scan types (pd disp, pd tac, pd interop etc) and off you go. Better to use the free Sentinal software to create new favorites lists. ALL of Radio Reference database comes on the scanners SD card..."favorites lists" are basically copy pasted portions of the database you select to listen to. I have one FL for SD Fire, one for SDPD Disp, one for SDPD Tac, one for south RCS law, one for conventional fire, etc.

Paul

Jeremy1873

Using the keypad you could enter your zip code, or more simply go to the favorites menu and just add the RCS and SD City systems to favorites lists, then make sure you activate all the different scan types (pd disp, pd tac, pd interop etc) and off you go. Better to use the free Sentinal software to create new favorites lists. ALL of Radio Reference database comes on the scanners SD card..."favorites lists" are basically copy pasted portions of the database you select to listen to. I have one FL for SD Fire, one for SDPD Disp, one for SDPD Tac, one for south RCS law, one for conventional fire, etc.

Paul

I just ordered my SDS100 off bearwarehouse, I’ll research the sentinel software. What does RCS mean?

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
RCS (Regional Communications System) Nextgen is the COUNTYWIDE radio network for police and fire and other agencies. It is an 800MHz Phase 2 capable trunking system. The other main system in SD County is the SD City 700MHz Phase 1 system. The old SD City 800 system is being decommissioned.

Besides the RCS and SD City trunking systems, the next most useful public safety things to add to favorites lists are the San Diego XSD VHF conventional brush fire commands. Additional brush fire stuff would be Calfire Monte Vista MVU2 frequency, and CHP Border Orange and Tan frequencies. The XSD stuff is on the main San Diego County area, and Calfire and CHP are on the California section. By area and section I mean the Radio Reference Database, Sentinel software and in the radio database menu.

I can send you a quick "get-me-started" Favorites list so you can start playing with the scanner when it arrives while you figure out how to program it and work the Sentinel software :)

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.