New to scanning

Status
Not open for further replies.

dalebirch

Hey everyone, This may sound like a silly question but I am fairly new to scanning. I have a Radio Shack Pro-96 handheld that I bought several years ago to get used to the 10-codes for local PD I had to learn as an Explorer. I haven't used it in years but got it back out recently. I work in private security and I use it to know whats going on around us with the local PD, fire, EMS, and other securit agencies in the area. My problem is that I can't always tell from looking at the frequency what agency it is. Does the 96 or any other basic handheld have the capabilities to assign a name or nickname to a channel so I can tell at a glance where its coming from? Like I said, I'm fairly new to this game so I don't have any kind of programming software or anything like that.

Any help with this will be appreciated!

n2mdk

Yes they are called Alpha Tags and it allows you to do exactly what your talking about. A program like Win96 makes it easier because you can use the computer to type in the names or even download the info from this sites database, with a premium subscription.
It can be done from the Pro-96's keyboard as well.
See page 45 in the pdf manual to see how to do it http://rsk.imageg.net/graphics/uc/rsk/Support/ProductManuals/2000526_PM_EN.pdf for channels, it can also be done for TGIDs on trunked systems

Last edited:

dalebirch

I'm a genius...I have the Pro-89!!! It threw me off when you mentioned the 'text' button b/c mine doesn't have one. Too good to be true! Sorry bout that

Raven95150

Premium Subscriber
I'm not familiar with the PRO-89, but just by doing a google search, it doesn't look like it has alpha-tagging capability. It appears it was meant to be a racing scanner and has a way to assign a car number to each frequency. You might be able to program these numbers so that each number corresponds with police, fire, etc. Otherwise, just keep a list with you of what agencies use what frequencies. After a while you will get to know them. Before my county went digital, I had all their frequencies memorized.

hcpholder

Premium Subscriber
I just wish the Pro96 had the same amount of characters for text as the Pro97 does. It is a lot better if you have more text space!

SCPD

QRT
I agree with characters. Had to completely redo my tags & rearrange the channels also.. only had 500 instead of the 1000 like the 97

Status
Not open for further replies.