New to Scanning...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tybalt

Hey everyone! I'm trying to get back into scanning. I had a PRO-91 awhile back. Though it got stolen and I never got the chance to get really into. I recently picked up a PRO-2035. Yes, I know it's old but I'm not too into tracking trunked systems and such. I've been doing a quit a bit of research and have compiled a good list of freqs in my surrounding area. I'm just starting to look into Amateur Ham's and satellites. I'm interested in what can be heard or seen via satellites. I know with the proper cable and a sound card I can receive NOAA images. Is there anything else of interest in space? Using SatScape I noticed that a bunch of these satellites have downlinks and such. What are these used for? Would it be possible to receive any other images? I read that when NASA was started there was a law stating that all technology used for space exploration must be available to the public. I know my scanner is only capable of receiving signals in the max of 1300Mhz and some signals from these satellites go beyond that. What interesting things are there to listen to in space? Are they decently active? Any input would be great.

I'm not even going to ask for any frequencies. As I know this is a scetchy subject for ppl who put in all there hard work to acquire them. I've got Police Call when I first purchased my PRO-91. It's a bit out dated now. But some of the things I got programmed into my scanner are:

RAIL
Local Dispatches and Emergency Mutual Aid Channels
AIR
Military
Some Sat's (NOAA & ARISS)

I'm currently working on some Ametuer Ham's now. If anyone has any suggestions of some other things please let me know. It would be kinda cool listening to some ppl from Canada or even Europe but, I'm going to assume that this is doubtful. I'm not too sure what other possibilities are available??? No need to post freq's (if you wish, that's fine). I would just like to get some input from others in the surrounding area and get pointed into a good direction. I'm no pro with any of this. I have a basic understanding of how radios work and the airwave spacing for freqs. I read about discriminateurs and believe I have an understanding of that also. It's used for an unfiltered signal ouput for Meritime and other paging systems. Is there any meritime activity in MN?

I get a lil confused with repeaters. From what I understand they run off a different freq then that of the repeated signal but, the original signal being repeated is still listened on the proper main signal? IDK I hope that came out right and is understandable.

I've also been looking into OS535 board. I have yet to find one available that is not already installed. But, if there is anyone here that has one available for sale please let me know. Any other tips, hints or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

tybalt

Oops, sorry. I did some editing prior to posting and I forgot to add it back in.

Washington County

I got local dispatches programmed in. I also know that they will be switching to ARMER very soon.

wogggieee

Premium Subscriber
Once Washington County switches over you'll be unable to hear them with your current scanner and you'll be unable to hear the majority of the public safety stuff in the metro area as well.

Slyster

Get a Pro-96, Win96 software, use the database and your all set! VERY ez. Got into scanning and figured it all out in just a week with those items. If you subscribe to this site ($) the Win96 software pulls everything up automatically. You won't be needing to type in a single freq or talkgroup or even alpha tag if you don't want to.

moonies

Welcom back to the scanning world!!! Alot has changed but the basics remain the same. Enjoy the hobby and I would spend the money now so when systems change you will be ready. Digital capable is a MUST if you really want to receive the benefits of monitoring. Space and satellite listening is a bit far fetched just with the unit alone. I use a portable shortwave to do utility and space comms. Alot has left the shortwave but I still enjoy dx-ing for that distant signal!!!!!!

hoser147

Welcome, the 2035 you have is a great scanner, I got one I use daily. Here is a link to the database for your area http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=1391. After being in scanning a long time and having Uniden, RS, and Gre, check out the Gre line of scanners and study various threads about them on here. With already having the 2035 I would check into going with a digital scanner and you would have it all pretty well covered....Good Luck and Good Scannin Hoser

tybalt

Thanks everyone for your input. It is nice to be back into all this. I've got big plans this weekend setting up a shack http://www.radioreference.com/forums/images/icons/icon7.gif
Smile I got this scanner at a very nice price and heard good things about it. I figured it would we a nice way to get going again cheaply. That is until I can afford one of the newer APCO-25. I must say I had a lot of fun playing around with trunked systems with my old PRO-91. I just wish the APCO supported devices were a lil cheaper.

"Get a Pro-96, Win96 software, use the database and your all set! VERY ez."

That sound like and awesome setup! No manual entries ever! Well worth the few bucks. Thanks for this info. I'll keep this in mind for sure. If I'm recalling correctly though. The specs of this scanner didn't receive Military (225-400). I'm particularly interested in these channels.

wogggieee

Premium Subscriber
tybalt said:
That sound like and awesome setup! No manual entries ever! Well worth the few bucks. Thanks for this info. I'll keep this in mind for sure. If I'm recalling correctly though. The specs of this scanner didn't receive Military (225-400). I'm particularly interested in these channels.

Those can be "unlocked" with the pro96 software. Also the Uniden BCD-396T can get that range. However from my experience there isn't much activity in this area.

Status
Not open for further replies.