New to scanning

Status
Not open for further replies.

knepper8940

Premium Subscriber
I bought a radio shack pro 96 digital scanner also bought radio reference access and arc96 software had a friend that has scanners for awhile program the scanner. it picks up some channels but none of the digital channels i want in my area. if i take the scanner to work it picks up the channels but as soon as i get home nothing. looking for someone that can help me. I tell you who i want to hear and were i live and you send me the file to upload to my scanner. scanner master says 300.00 because I live on the edge of three differant counties. I am totally confused why it will work by work but not here. I put up a outside scanner spider antenna more stuff coming in but no digital yet. HELP HELP live in southern il wantin to hear isp dist 11 and idot dist 8 ( i live on edge of two different isp dist. and all sourronding area local pd's, fd's, arch (medical)

Last edited:

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Have looked at the idea of an outside antenna. Does the scanner hear the system outside at your home? If not how far from your home does the scanner start to hear the system? You can get help from members at no cost. I have the win96 software but others have arc96 but you are where you can get help. Also welcome to the site.

knepper8940

Premium Subscriber
Yes i have an outside antenna. I work for IDOT and brought my radio home and can hear everything put in the different control freq. but i am being told because i live right on the edge of two different districts i need to install all control channels in both districts and all towers in between that's were i keep getting confused I can hear them on the scanner only in my work area as soon as i travel more than 5 miles from that area i lose them so i am thinking i need somebody who knows this stuff to help me....

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Last edited:

knepper8940

Premium Subscriber
I have put them in but still to no avail i must be missing something according to motorola guys they say put in all control towers freq. and i should hear them but that dont seem to work unless i am missing something according to them if i put all the control freq. in that hand off to each other i should be able to hear transmissions from chicago area. I just must be missing something

knepper8940

Premium Subscriber
that would be my area
I can give you a list of what i want to hear i have made that list up several times and the radio reference keeps showing me different things i add but i do have a entire list of what i want to listen to.

W2PMX

You put the control channel frequencies for a single tower in as one system - with all the IDOT talkgroups (and anything else you want to hear). Then you put the control channel frequencies of another tower into another system (in the 96 I think you have to put each system into its own bank), and put all the talkgroups in that system too.

And you have to understand how a trunked system works - if a truck calls a base, only the towers that that truck and that base are using will transmit those transmissions, unless some other unit using the same talkgroup that they are is using ("associated with") another tower. If, for example, a truck way north of you is talking to a base way north of you (on a tower way north of you), and no unit on that talkgroup is near any of the towers you can hear, you won't hear the conversation. (And there's no way to change that.) If you can't hear the towers near work from your house, you'll be hearing different things at work and at home. That's just how it is.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
With scanners and multicast sites scanners do not work as well. With the pro-96 look at the database and but in the state system 1 site in each bank this may take 3 or 4 banks only that site in that bank also in each bank add all talkgroups in each bank thats the only way I can think to do the big area you are in plus in a smart site system the system only transmits traffic if it knows a radio is in the area not sure about your system.

knepper8940

Premium Subscriber
Ok this is were you guys just started talking a different language. So what your saying is put the control freq. in one bank for dist 11 and all the talk groups in the same bank? Is there anyone in this area that i could have them program this crazy thing.

knepper8940

Premium Subscriber
Will look back Monday after work have to get up at 3am for work please keep giving help as you can i really am very thankful any thing helps

W2PMX

Ok this is were you guys just started talking a different language. So what your saying is put the control freq. in one bank for dist 11 and all the talk groups in the same bank?
Exactly. Then the control frequencies for district 8 in another bank - and the talkgroups (even if they're the same) for district 8 in that bank. Etc.

knepper8940

Premium Subscriber
I have done that and still having problems i think there is too many talk groups under that control number can that be happening?

Status
Not open for further replies.