New to scanning

Status
Not open for further replies.

newtoit

Hello, I recently got a BCT8 Scanner, I really know nothing about it. I was wondeing if anyone could tell me if I will be able to heare Town / State police/ border patrol and Fire depts. here in nothern VT or are they all digital and i will get nothing? is this BCT8 Digital?
It has trunking so does that mean it is digital?
Thanks

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
No it doesn't - there are many different types of trunking, depending on the system and distributor. The BCT8 only does analog trunktracking, which means it is not able to copy the newer P25 digital systems that are going online across the country.

Normally I would send you to our Vermont forum, but I see there's next to nothing insofar as activity - a much better place to go would be the Scan New England site, which specializes in that area. We have a number of links to that site here (anything in blue is a link)

Vermont - the RR Wiki

There's where you can find local folks to give you a hand

best regards..Mike

N8IAA

Hello, I recently got a BCT8 Scanner, I really know nothing about it. I was wondeing if anyone could tell me if I will be able to heare Town / State police/ border patrol and Fire depts. here in nothern VT or are they all digital and i will get nothing? is this BCT8 Digital? It has trunking so does that mean it is digital? Thanks

Welcome newtoit. You got one of the hardest to program Uniden trunktracking scanners ever made:( No, the BCT8 is not digital capable. Don't know if the USCBP is digital there or not. Mike gave you some great spots to learn and ask. As of now, your state is pretty much conventional VHF/UHF.
Digital scanners would be PSR-500/600/800, RS PRO-106/197/18, Uniden 396XT/996XT/Home Patrol 1E(xtreme). There are older models that some people like to use.
To find out what the Feds are using in your area, the Federal Forum is a great place to ask.
Even though there is currently only one post in the Vermont State forum, you might want to ask there as well. ScanNewEngland is an outstanding site, and the guy that runs it happens by here on RR every once in a while.
HTH,
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.