New to scanning

Status
Not open for further replies.

UrbanElite

I'm new to scanning channels, just a hobby I wanted to get into something to listen to for your area. I bought a Baofeng BF F8 handheld, very happy with the purchase.

I'm looking for parkland channels that are very active, I have stony plain/spruce rcmp at 155.535 it's decently busy, any others?

teufler

you know the RR database has everything you need to scan. The F8 is a 2 way ht, it scans slow but it scans.You can, with the F8, put a frequency in vfo mode, than scan. It crude but you can do a sweep for activate frequencies. Be preparred to hear lots of comments, if you don't have a ham license. Or if you are using it as a commercial radio, how other radios are much better. Once you get the scanning or monitoring bug, you will move up to a real scanner and there are many ideas here as to the right one for your area. No matter what yopu spend, there will be another around the corner that will peak your interest. Then your scanner will not pick up asd well as you like, so you will ask about external antennas. Get the picture, scanner is a cash drain, but its enjoyable. Pretty much, you hear the news before you get it on the 10 o'clock news, and sometimes you hear news that never makes it to the newspaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.