new to scanning

Status
Not open for further replies.

acab6

I just got a Pro-94 and would like to listen to the railroad, does anyone know how to go about this ? and also I would like to monitor the police, how do go about this? How does dual-trunking apply to listening to either the railroad or police I cant seem to wrap my head around the instruction guide. Any help is appreciated.

mike_webb59

1. Use the "Wiki" Link above to learn about any topic. Start with your scanner.
2. Join a forum group if there is one. Sometimes they share software files
3. Use the Database link to surf to your State of choice. On the State Page is a link to a table of frequencies by agency, county or major city. Drill down and drill down.
4. Use the tables to understand what you need to program your scanner. For any term you don't understand, use your mouse to "hover' over the column heading for a tip (and visit the Wiki).
5. Consider one of the many software packages you can use to program scanners.
6. Visit and post in various forums for more details.

For example what state and area are you planning to scan?

basprog

Welcome aboard ACAB6!

That 94a should serve you well. It is one of the easier scanners to program by hand for both conventional and trunking, and is the only way since the "a" model doesn't appear to have the pc-interface. No matter!

To ease the confusion from the manual a bit, maybe take some smaller first steps to your railroad and PD quest. Here's what I suggest for a new scanner listener and 94 owner:

1) While researching your railroad and pd requirements, why not listen to something interesting by using the pre-determined service searches? (p.27) Just hit E and toggle it to listen to various services. Practice with the HOLD and up/down keys. Toggle delay on and off to your liking.

2) Learn how to program the custom limit-search (p.25). Since you want to listen to railroad, and there are no pre-defined services searches for railroad, this is ideal. Program in 159.810 as the lower limit, and 161.565 for the upper limit.

3) Learn how to program in conventional analog channels into the banks/channels for scanning. (as opposed to *searching* in steps 1 and 2). I did a search here on the message groups for "Ontario Railroad" and came up with a few messages and frequencies for your area.

4) Now tackle trunking. RR's database shows quite a few Motorola and Edacs trunking systems for Ontario. If they are digital P25, forget about it. But if they are analog trunking, no problem.

5) Have fun. But don't get frustrated if you don't get it all right away. Listen, learn, communicate - it's all part of the experience...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.