New to scanning

Status
Not open for further replies.

KK6UMO

I was gifted a Uniden BC125AT for Christmas. Never had one before. Thoughts and or tips for me?

JimD56

KO9JAD/Fire Lieutenant/Paramedic
Feed Provider
If you are ever in Miami "Freedom" Florida. You can listen to the 6th largest and 4th busiest Fire Rescue department in the entire country.
Miami-Dade County Fire Rescue is in the clear, with all frequencies in the 453-460mhz range. (y)

wtp

there are a couple of this to try though...

K4EET

Chaplain
Where are you located? That radio is good for analog stuff. We can help you more if you let us know where you are.
Based on his username probably being his Amateur Radio callsign, there is a good probability then that he is located in Orange County, California.

@KK6UMO, welcome to Radio Reference! The listing of radio systems in your county can be found here:

Orange County, California (CA) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

@wtp's post gives you your scanner's capabilities. We can all start from there.

Happy New Year! Dave K4EET

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Great analog handheld scanner, one of the best analog scanners ever made, IHO. Now that's out of the way, next is your SDS digital scanner. You're just getting started!

majoco

Stirrer
+1 for Nick's Scan125 programme - works very well on my UBCT126AT - the 'export' version covers more frequencies.

geodude2148

Check out my free/charity ware Scan125 Control Program

Scan125 Control Program

Fully supported.
hi members, new here so still learning. using Scan 125 (great program), On my second try putting in 15 new channels i noticed i didnt have the cable plugged up or it fell out, now i played around with several ways trying to load the new channels into the scanner after i reinserted the cable, Surprize i got it some way, lol, but i would like to know proper way to do it, thanks very much.

Scan125

Hi, Scan125 here:

Ideally you should initially be reading the User Manual or using the mouse hover tool tip function from prompts.

Scan125 User Manual - COM Port Refresh

Scan125 has an [R] button in the COM Port Control Area. This R button when clicked will cause the program to go through a port detection routine that will remove missing or invalid ports from the available port list and add any new ports found.

So all you need to do is clear/close the error dialogues, connect the USB cable (both ends :) ) and then hit the [R] button.

Scan125 will now go relocate your scanner and connect.

When looking for the Scanner Scan125 will try the last port used first for increased detection performance. If that fails it will work it's ways through the other available USB ports in sequence. When looking for the scanner on ports then Scan125 has to send a unique command to the port and wait for response. If you have used different port to last time and you have a number of ports and the scanner is on the last one then it will take a finite time for the detection process to walk the ports.

Scan125 has a support button which you can use to get in contact with me. You can use this for questions, problems, suggestions etc.

Nick

Scan125

Would add that it is important to understand that Scan125 is a "real time" control and editing program. It takes all the control states and storage/channel data when the program starts. So the scanner is the definitive "master" when the program starts and the Scan125 program is the "slave". After loading is complete the Scan125 should be treated as/is the master. Any settings or data you change is sent to the scanner. With data such as frequency then Scan125 sends the frequency which the scanner might change/adjust to a valid step value. Scan125 then does a read back from the scanner and if the scanner changed a value then Scan125 will use the scanner modified value.

Status
Not open for further replies.