New to scanning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if this is the best place to post this, but I too was gifted a BC125AT scanner so that I could listen to what is going on in town. I work for the town and it can be helpful to know what is going on. I have read everything I could find on how to operate the scanner. I didn't see the Scan 125 Control Program until after I had already downloaded and used another program called ACR125. The program seemed to work well. I programed in the public works, police, fire, as well as the county and abutting town channels. The scanner is now scanning, but I am hearing nothing. I have adjusted the squelch up and down, but to no avail. I have all the channels stored in bank 1. Would it make a difference if I put them in a different bank? What am I doing wrong? I am in Hancock County, Maine.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Here is a program from Uniden for you to download and install: BC125AT < UnidenMan4 < TWiki Read from Scanner and save the file. If you attach the file, I will check it for problems. You will have to right click on the file and Send to Compressed (zipped) folder to be able to attach it. Click on Attach files and Open the zipped folder.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
The BC125AT is an analog only scanner. Where in Hancock County are you? I'm seeing mostly analog conventional frequencies which your scanner shouldn't have any issue picking up assuming the RR database is accurate. Have you programmed the frequencies as they're shown in the database or did you find them elsewhere?

Yes, I put in all the frequencies listed on the RR Database. I put in the County Sheriff, Orland Fire, Bucksport Fire, Bucksport Police, Bucksport Public works, and others. But I am not receiving anything. I double checked each frequency and I have them entered correctly.

The BC125AT is an analog only scanner. Where in Hancock County are you? I'm seeing mostly analog conventional frequencies which your scanner shouldn't have any issue picking up assuming the RR database is accurate. Have you programmed the frequencies as they're shown in the database or did you find them elsewhere?

WB9YBM

The scanner is now scanning, but I am hearing nothing. I have adjusted the squelch up and down, but to no avail.

To make sure it works, maybe you could try the weather channels (at least one should work in your area). Once that's done, you might like to take a look at your antenna set-up--get it out in the clear with as much altitude as you can.

Picks up the weather channel 162.3975 perfect. I will try it outside tomorrow, but if it won't work in my office then I will try something different. I should be able to pick up fire/ems. When they are in my office, their radios work fine.

To make sure it works, maybe you could try the weather channels (at least one should work in your area). Once that's done, you might like to take a look at your antenna set-up--get it out in the clear with as much altitude as you can.

WB9YBM

Picks up the weather channel 162.3975 perfect. I will try it outside tomorrow, but if it won't work in my office then I will try something different. I should be able to pick up fire/ems. When they are in my office, their radios work fine.

Well, the first sentence indicates it works, so maybe lack of reception therefore has more to do with the quality of the antenna set-up. When you say "When they are in my office, their radios work fine" does that mean you take it outside? If so, maybe there's an issue with the radio when it gets cold. Temperature related problems could be either a bad solder connection someplace or some (usually active) component not performing up to spec when exposed to temps at the limits of the temp range it's rated for.

Sorry, you misunderstand. I was saying that when the fire and ems guys are in my office THEIR radios work fine. What I meant was that the typical radio receives signal in my office. I will take it with me when I go outside today and see if it performs any different.

Well, the first sentence indicates it works, so maybe lack of reception therefore has more to do with the quality of the antenna set-up. When you say "When they are in my office, their radios work fine" does that mean you take it outside? If so, maybe there's an issue with the radio when it gets cold. Temperature related problems could be either a bad solder connection someplace or some (usually active) component not performing up to spec when exposed to temps at the limits of the temp range it's rated for.

ok, so I can't explain it, but I am picking up Fire/EMS and PW fine today. I have changed nothing so I don't understand why it is suddenly working. I still have not picked up the police or sheriff. Is it possible they have gone digital and that is why I am not hearing them?

ME343

ME/NH/VT DB Admin
Database Admin
Bucksport is sometimes a slow town. Id add Hancock County fire, Law, and add brewer fire. You should be able to hear most of those in Bucksport.

ecps92

NWS would be 162.4000 not .3975

Not familiar with that model, but maybe it is set for a different bandplan than USA ?

I just checked and I get the weather on both 162.4 and 162.3975. It is the same. Everything seems to be working except the police. which isn't a big deal. I just don't know why it isn't picking that up and that bugs me.

ecps92

You must be real close to the NWS then, just wanted to make sure you had the correct Country band plan

I just checked and I get the weather on both 162.4 and 162.3975. It is the same. Everything seems to be working except the police. which isn't a big deal. I just don't know why it isn't picking that up and that bugs me.

msp563

Premium Subscriber
The State Police analog tower on Bald Mtn in Dedham should boom in for you. Try programming in 157.500 and see if you get it.

WB9YBM

Sorry, you misunderstand. I was saying that when the fire and ems guys are in my office THEIR radios work fine. What I meant was that the typical radio receives signal in my office. I will take it with me when I go outside today and see if it performs any different.
ok, so I can't explain it, but I am picking up Fire/EMS and PW fine today. I have changed nothing so I don't understand why it is suddenly working. I still have not picked up the police or sheriff. Is it possible they have gone digital and that is why I am not hearing them?

Thanks for clarifying. Police/Sherriff going digital is a definite possibility.

WB9YBM

Thanks for clarifying. Police/Sherriff going digital is a definite possibility.

rockinromac1

Feed Provider
As far as I know Bucksport Police is not Digital and I an 100% sure Hancock County SO is still analog as I am listening to them right now. Shoot me a email at rowanmschoff@gmail.com or message me on here with a copy of your Config and i'd be happy to take a look and answer any questions you have.

I am picking up some police but I think much of the time they are communicating using their computers rather than over the radio. That is why I can go entire days without hearing anything. I have picked up some chatter some days. As for the sheriff, I don't believe I have picked up any officer chatter, but I do get the county ems and fire calls. MSP563, I will try the State police channel. I do not believe I currently have that one programmed in. I would also love to hear the tankers and tug boat chatter as they are being guided into the harbor. Anyone know what frequency that would be on?

As far as I know Bucksport Police is not Digital and I an 100% sure Hancock County SO is still analog as I am listening to them right now. Shoot me a email at rowanmschoff@gmail.com or message me on here with a copy of your Config and i'd be happy to take a look and answer any questions you have.

msp563

Premium Subscriber
If you don't get State Police on the Bald Mtn tower, you can try the Cadillac tower at 160.890

Status
Not open for further replies.