New to Scanning

rsflintlock

Just recently purchased my first scanner and beginning the learning curve. I spent the extra money to have the county in which I reside, preprogrammed with thoughts that I would try my luck at adding additional counties within my state as I go along...Can I program an additional county as a whole or do you have to treat frequencies within that county individually?

tvengr

Well Known Member
Welcome to Radio Reference! To be able to help, we need to know the scanner you are using, your city, county, and state, the agencies you want to monitor, and if you are using programming software. We can help you add additional counties. How the additional counties are programmed will depend on your scanner and the systems they are using. With location info, we can look them up in the database.

Last edited:

rsflintlock

Hi Tvengr,

Great to be here!!! Was a little intimidated there for a while but finally decided to jump in. Originally was looking at the digital models but due to cost decided on the Uniden BCT15X from Scannermaster ( shout out to Rich and John!!! Thank you for your help!!!). I live in Fitchburg Ma. and had it programed for Worcester County to get started. I'm primarily interested in keeping informed about what's happening locally to me but expanding Eastward to the Boston area and eventually to Plymouth County which is where I originally hail from...Police, fire,EMS,Alerts etc. and anything you might suggest is where my interest would be.

Best Regards,
Rich

wtp

remember that the 15Xdoes NOT do digital.
so you will not get P-25, NXDN, DMR or provoice.
look under "mode" in the database.
and Boston and Plymouth might be too far to get.

Last edited:

tvengr

Well Known Member
It is far faster and easier to use programming software than to program the scanner manually. You can use FreeSCAN which is FREE! Download and install the software. Here is the link: Downloads - Sixspot Software Once you have the software installed, you can connect the scanner, go to the Scanner tab in the software, and click on Download Programming. DO NOT CLICK ON UPLOAD PROGRAMMING! THAT WILL ERASE WHAT IS ALREADY PREPROGRAMMED IN THE SCANNER. Once you have downloaded the programming and populated the software, you will be able to save the existing preprogramming to a file for safekeeping. If you have any problems communicating with the scanner, please let us know.

Reactions: wtp