New to SDR

Status
Not open for further replies.

ltginrage

Hello,
I would like to try SDR out. Would someone be able to recommend a SDR Receiver? I read online that you can use it to decode tones codes.

Thanks
Isaiah B

RBMTS

Tone codes meaning QuikCall or Plectron paging tones? If so, you don't need an SDR for that. Download Audicity and analyze the tone sequence. The program is free.

If you want a SDR dongle, here is a suggestion:

Sigh. This --> Nooelec - Nooelec NESDR SMArt v4 SDR - Premium RTL-SDR w/ Aluminum Enclosure, 0.5PPM TCXO, SMA Input. RTL2832U & R820T2-Based - Software Defined Radio

(This is a higher quality version.)

(The free version will get you basic decoding features. The paid version will get you DMR/NXDN/P25 trunk-tracking among other features.)

ltginrage

I'm not sure what type of tones they are. There on DeKalb County Fire Dispatch (153.485). Thanks for the recommendation
I have audacity open currently I'm not seeing tone sequence under analyze.

Last edited:

RBMTS

Yes, you mean fire tones.

For Audicity, you need to have a sound sample of the file. Simply make a recording or capture the wav file from your radio onto your computer. Open up the file with Audicity. Highlight a small section of one of the tones and go up to "Analyze", then "Plot Spectrum". You will see a sound signature with a very large spike to it. Put your pointer into that spike and read the tone hertz.

I assume you are doing this for your Unication Gx. I use it all the time. You can also view the tone duration. This is most helpful if you are trying to determine the tone length of alert tones (not paging tones). I have used it for setting up sequence alert tones that have 300ms timing and they end up working perfectly on my G5.

ltginrage

Thank you. I'm actually doing it for BC325P2 and BCT15X fire tone out feature and possibly a Motorola minitor. I'm still gonna look into the Nooelec reciver you sent see if it picks ups anything where my scanners cant maybe it will help or it probaly wont work, I'm still gonna give it a shot

RBMTS

You know that the 325P2 and the 15X have a tone search feature to them and they will display out the tones that you hear - right?

Fire Tone Out Search

ltginrage

Yes I do, I dont have the best reception from my location which makes it hard to recive a good enough signal to do the tone search so I'm using broadcastify recordings?

RBMTS

Save an archive recording that has the tones you want and analyze them with Audicity. You'll be all set.

ltginrage

Just ordered the NooElec NESDR Smart v4 Bundle should be here by April 20th. Thanks for your help.

ltginrage

Could someone name a few good programs to run with the NooElec NESDR Smart v4 Bundle. I would like to pick up DMR, conventional, and possibly P25.

R0am3r

Salt Water Conch
Premium Subscriber
Look at DSDPlus Fast Lane (Windows only) and OP25 (Linux derivatives). SDRTrunk (multiple platforms) decodes P25 and several other formats. But, I don't think it does DMR.

Last edited:

ltginrage

Not a Noo Elec SDR?
Edit: Disregard Above Just realized it say RTL SDR in the name

Last edited:

ltginrage

I just got the dongle in today. Currently trying to setup SDRTrunk, Does any who knows how to set this up and would be able to help set it up

Status
Not open for further replies.