New to SWL and having trouble with antenna set up.

Klrskies

Hello,

First time posting here. Greetings to all!

I'd like to ask for help about my current attempt to add an AM loop antenna to my collection. I recently began listening on the AM Mid band with a Tecsun PL990x. I live in a duplex with quite a bit of noise and I wanted to try aquiring bettter signal so I purchased an MLA-30+. I can place the antenna's pvc pipe on top of a fence in my back yard, a bit away from the interference from the house. The MLA-30+ uses SMA connectors and I thought I'd try connecting it, thru the supplied bias T, to my RTL SDR to see how the antenna performed.

The antenna does not seem to be gathering any signal at all.... performing as if it's disconnected from the RTL SDR. The bias T's led lights up when fed from a USB but the antenna seems dead.

Is there a way I can test to see if the antenna is functioning? My Tecsun PL 990x has a jack for an external antenna, but I would need to find the right terminal to adapt from the SMA connector to what appears to be a 3.5 jack but I dont know if it should be a mono or stereo type jack.