New to Texas...

Status
Not open for further replies.

HKFive

Hi all,

I am new to Texas (Just moved to Post - Garza County). Wanting to get a scanner to listen to fire/ems and police. Not sure if they are running digital around here but i can't get them on conventional scanners. Does anyone have any information they might be able to share or suggestions for a scanner that will work here?

Thanks in advance.

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
Looking at Garza County, TX, it looks like they use both digital and analog. If you're just interested in the public safety traffic, just about any scanner that is capable of digital reception looks like it would work. I don't see any public safety trunk radio systems for Garza County so as long as you just don't have an analog only scanner you should be able to receive something. And a lot of the frequencies may be analog also. Definitely some are. Have you looked at this link?

Brian
COMMSCAN

HKFive

Looking at Garza County, TX, it looks like they use both digital and analog. If you're just interested in the public safety traffic, just about any scanner that is capable of digital reception looks like it would work. I don't see any public safety trunk radio systems for Garza County so as long as you just don't have an analog only scanner you should be able to receive something. And a lot of the frequencies may be analog also. Definitely some are. Have you looked at this link?

Brian
COMMSCAN

Thanks Brian, no i have not checked that link but i sure will. If i can, may i ask for a suggestion of an entry-level scanner capable of bot digital and analog?

Thanks

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
I used to monitor Garza county around narrowbanding with a GM300. They were analog back then mostly.

According to my source (one of the neighboring county's EOC radios), looks like the primary dispatch for the SO is primarily P25 where the secondary appears to be either mixed mode.

letarotor

Premium Subscriber

Brian
COMMSCAN
Thanks Brian, no i have not checked that link but i sure will. If i can, may i ask for a suggestion of an entry-level scanner capable of bot digital and analog?

Thanks
This is a list of some of the older, not still made but probably not hard to find, handheld scanners. And there's always a base model for the same radio if you wanted to get a base scanner and just listen at home.

Uniden:
BC296D handhel
BCD396XT handheld

The first one operates along the lines of older scanners where you have channels and banks. The second one has what's called a dynamic memory and it allows you to program in a lot more and you're not limited to just a certain number of channels for each bank. Both of them are discontinued but they usually can be found secondhand.

Uniden base models:
BC796D
BC996XT

If you were looking for something newer that is still being manufactured sold and is new/in stock, you might try something like the Uniden BCD325P2 for the handheld or the BCD996P2 for the base scanner. There are a lot of different models out there and there are other brands like Whistler also. I personally like the Uniden scanners much better and I think they're much more packed with smart ways of doing things and options on their radios. They are definitely more user-friendly in my opinion. Others may mention some other digital scanners that they like? But I do think most people prefer Uniden's radios.

If it's just going to be used in the surrounding area you mentioned, I would take a look at radioreference.com and look at the database to see what any counties you might be interested in monitoring have for frequencies. P25 is the digital protocol and a lot of counties do have both digital and analog still in use. The first scanners I mentioned, the older ones that are no longer manufactured, would be limited if you were to go somewhere different where they have more modern radio systems and current trunk radio systems. So if you plan on doing any traveling with it, you have to consider that also. In some areas, like where I live in the D/FW area, none of these radios would work good for me anymore since everything around here is becoming P25 Phase 2 TRS types of radio systems. And unfortunately that makes it where I have to spend a lot more money on the scanners I get just so that they'll be able to monitor the public safety traffic. I missed the good old days of not having to worry so much about the cost of a new radio :) But it does look like, at least in Garza County, that a simple and older P25 scanner will do the trick for you.

I'm sure some more people will likely mention some radios they think would be good also. Good luck!

Brian
COMMSCAN

Last edited:

Russell

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
Lubbock City/County is P25 trunked and positioned to easily become a regional system. Simulcast distortion is unlikely unless you are within Lubbock. I agree with Brian on the BCD325P2/BCD996P2 radios if you want to save a couple hundred bucks and still be Phase II capable.

BCD325P2/BCD996P2 to save a few bucks / NO database on board, good for fairly stable monitoring (not a lot of programming changes).
BCD436HP/BC536HP you get the database but costs more, good for trunked systems and more frequent updates.
SDS100/200 top of the line, excellent performance, designed for simulcast but cost is significant.

I would like to add that the SDS radios were designed primarily for 700/800 Mhz and simulcast issues. I love these radios but some have reported that they suffer on VHF/UHF conventional (non P25) though I have not personally experienced this.

If you're interested in VHF/UHF aircraft like MilAir well Brian is MUCH more an expert in this area. I'm curious which radio(s) are best for this but might probably be another thread.

Russell

Last edited:

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
This is a list of some of the older, not still made but probably not hard to find, handheld scanners. And there's always a base model for the same radio if you wanted to get a base scanner and just listen at home.

Uniden:
BC296D handhel
BCD396XT handheld

The first one operates along the lines of older scanners where you have channels and banks. The second one has what's called a dynamic memory and it allows you to program in a lot more and you're not limited to just a certain number of channels for each bank. Both of them are discontinued but they usually can be found secondhand.

Uniden base models:
BC796D
BC996XT

If you were looking for something newer that is still being manufactured sold and is new/in stock, you might try something like the Uniden BCD325P2 for the handheld or the BCD996P2 for the base scanner. There are a lot of different models out there and there are other brands like Whistler also. I personally like the Uniden scanners much better and I think they're much more packed with smart ways of doing things and options on their radios. They are definitely more user-friendly in my opinion. Others may mention some other digital scanners that they like? But I do think most people prefer Uniden's radios.

If it's just going to be used in the surrounding area you mentioned, I would take a look at radioreference.com and look at the database to see what any counties you might be interested in monitoring have for frequencies. P25 is the digital protocol and a lot of counties do have both digital and analog still in use. The first scanners I mentioned, the older ones that are no longer manufactured, would be limited if you were to go somewhere different where they have more modern radio systems and current trunk radio systems. So if you plan on doing any traveling with it, you have to consider that also. In some areas, like where I live in the D/FW area, none of these radios would work good for me anymore since everything around here is becoming P25 Phase 2 TRS types of radio systems. And unfortunately that makes it where I have to spend a lot more money on the scanners I get just so that they'll be able to monitor the public safety traffic. I missed the good old days of not having to worry so much about the cost of a new radio :) But it does look like, at least in Garza County, that a simple and older P25 scanner will do the trick for you.

I'm sure some more people will likely mention some radios they think would be good also. Good luck!

Brian
COMMSCAN
Phase 2 is somewhat interesting on FWRRS. Some groups run it and others don't. I was monitoring Arlington units that had roamed over to the Mansfield site (I live in Mansfield) and I don't remember seeing the TDMA slot assignment info (I probably missed it). I know Lubbock was gearing for Phase 2 as was Texas Tech but other than that everything out there would be Phase 1.
Lubbock City/County is P25 trunked and positioned to easily become a regional system. Simulcast distortion is unlikely unless you are within Lubbock. I agree with Brian on the BCD325P2/BCD996P2 radios if you want to save a couple hundred bucks and still be Phase II capable.

BCD325P2/BCD996P2 to save a few bucks / NO database on board, good for fairly stable monitoring (not a lot of programming changes).
BCD436HP/BC536HP you get the database but costs more, good for trunked systems and more frequent updates.
SDS100/200 top of the line, excellent performance, designed for simulcast but cost is significant.

I would like to add that the SDS radios were designed primarily for 700/800 Mhz and simulcast issues. I love these radios but some have reported that they suffer on VHF/UHF conventional (non P25) though I have not personally experienced this.

If you're interested in VHF/UHF aircraft like MilAir well Brian is MUCH more an expert in this area. I'm curious which radio(s) are best for this but might probably be another thread.

Russell
Based on the info I've been provided, it's more likely that there would be a northern expansion of GATRRS (lead by DPS and TxDOT on the state's second core, RFSS 2) versus a multi-county regional expansion of Lubbock's system. My understanding was the expansion from two years ago was done so some coverage gaps around the county could be filled (Shallowater, Abernathy, Ransom Canyon).

twobytwo

For the sheriff 154.0475 is encrypted so that wont do you any good. 155.61 Is digital and used by fire and ambulance, it just hasnt been updated.and is encrypted about half the time. There really isnt much excitement on the prison channel. Good Luck listening. You should hear 159.21,DPS-Crosbyton without any problem.

HKFive

For the sheriff 154.0475 is encrypted so that wont do you any good. 155.61 Is digital and used by fire and ambulance, it just hasnt been updated.and is encrypted about half the time. There really isnt much excitement on the prison channel. Good Luck listening. You should hear 159.21,DPS-Crosbyton without any problem.

So for the encrypted stuff, there isn't a way to listen with a scanner (probably a dumb question)?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
So for the encrypted stuff, there isn't a way to listen with a scanner (probably a dumb question)?
Correct. If they are full time encrypted, no current scanner, nor any future one, can listen in. That's against the law, & no radio manufacturer would violate that prohibition.

You can, of course, program the channel anyway, on the off chance that some transmissions may be in the clear, but there is no guarantee that will occur.

HKFive

Correct. If they are full time encrypted, no current scanner, nor any future one, can listen in. That's against the law, & no radio manufacturer would violate that prohibition.

You can, of course, program the channel anyway, on the off chance that some transmissions may be in the clear, but there is no guarantee that will occur.

Wow, ok...that's a bummer! Thank you for the info though!

Status
Not open for further replies.