New to the BCD436HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimbertown

New to scanning and have a couple of questions.

I have a BCD436HP that was purchased and programmed by Scanner Master and am very pleased with it. It was programmed with my local county frequencies. When I turn it on it automatically starts scanning those frequencies (favorite list).

1) If I enter another zip code (during scanning) will those frequencies run (scan) along with my preset favorites list and then delete out when I turn the scanner off?

2) How do I turn off the preset favorites list or turn on another preset list if I create a second, or do they run together?

3) If I download an updated data base to the scanner (Sentinel software) will my preset favorites list remain untouched, meaning when I start the scanner up it will still be present and scanning.

I apologize if these seem like trivial questions, but I'm trying to learn and don't want to mess up my scanner. Thanks in advance for any help or assistance.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
1. It depends how they programmed that Favorites List. If they set Location Control to On, changing the zip code will affect what is being scanned. If it's the zip code "next door", it might be minimal impact. If its across the country, probably everything will be off. However without seeing the program, there are too many variables to say for sure.

The scanner will remember the entered zip code when it is shut off.

2. If they set a Favorites List Quick Key, then you can turn off the FLQK. Otherwise its Menu>Select Lists to Monitor<Scroll to the created list> then hit Enter. (But doing so will result in a message saying "Nothing to Scan").

3. Yes - updating the Master Database does not alter any Favorites Lists in your scanner. I don't know whether ScannerMaster's programming turns off the full database. If so, then you won't scan the updated database until you turn it on. The steps are similar to #2 above.

My suggestion is to use Sentinel and do a "Read from Scanner". The next thing would be do export the Favorites List created by ScannerMaster to an HPE file. After that you can do some experimenting and try your hand at editing the Favorites List.

As good as it may have come from ScannerMaster, they couldn't read you mind and know exactly what you preferred. So they made their best guess based on their knowledge and experience. Everyone has their own ways of perfecting things to suit themselves.

If you make a mistake or do something bad to the Favorites List (we all do at first) recovery is easy. Just erase/delete the "messed up" Favorites List. Then import that HPE file you made and you'll be back where ScannerMaster had you.

No such thing as a trivial question for someone who is learning. You cannot mess up the scanner by bad programming - all you've done is spend time learning. You can overcome any issues.

kimbertown

Thank you for taking the time to respond and answer my questions. I know learning the scanner will not happen overnight and will require a disciplined learning curve. One thing I've learned by exploring this forum . . . scanners compared to a decade ago have drastically changed to keep up with technology.

I am looking forward to gaining a more solid understanding of the BCD436HP.

Status
Not open for further replies.