New to the forum and to my new PRO-197...

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD6HRI

I am glad to have found this site! I am a noob and getting back into the world of scanners, I recently purchased a RS PRO-197 and it is a big wake up call compared to scanners of years gone bye! This site is a huge wealth of info and is helping me find my way. Thanks for the great forum!

KD6HRI

Thanks for the help! I loaded the Win500 software a few days ago and got some what familiar with it and successfully programmed the scanner! This thing has more bells and whistles then I may use, but what a great scanner so far. I think I may start looking for scanner buddies here in my local area with the same model and see if I can pick their brains on tips and tricks. I did notice a forum for California and my specific area so this looks like a good place to start!

Highpockets

Thanks for the help! I loaded the Win500 software a few days ago and got some what familiar with it and successfully programmed the scanner! This thing has more bells and whistles then I may use, but what a great scanner so far. I think I may start looking for scanner buddies here in my local area with the same model and see if I can pick their brains on tips and tricks. I did notice a forum for California and my specific area so this looks like a good place to start!

Here is a Guide that may help you down the road with Win500:

WIN500 - UtahRadio

Eyesell

Hello and welcome, I'm a new guy on the scanner front as well. I just bought a PRO-106, any idea on the difference in the 197 vs. the 106, is the 197 a handheld ?

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Hello and welcome, I'm a new guy on the scanner front as well. I just bought a PRO-106, any idea on the difference in the 197 vs. the 106, is the 197 a handheld ?

The PRO-197 is a base scanner.

Welcome to Radio Reference. The best radio community online and the most knowledgeable people you will ever find here. This site is a wealth of information.

soberbyker

Premium Subscriber

The Pro 197 is a base AND mobile unit, the 106 is handheld.

In this photo the radio on the left is a 197

Pro-197

pro_197_front.gif

KD6HRI

Thats my scanner! Basically its a GRE PSR-600 because GRE makes them for Radio Shack. I was looking at the PRO-106, but opted for a base/mobile first. Next purchase coming is a Yaesu FT-8800R 2m/70cm mobile for base/mobile ops. I have to fuel the ham hobby too! A handheld will come in due time. All of these radio toys also help me in my volunteer work with our Sacramento Metro Fire CERT program. I appreciate everyones welcome and look forward to many hours exploring this site and meeting new people.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Welcome to RR and enjoy! :)

I have 197's here also.

n9zas

KE0GXN

I also new to the site and looking at purchasing a RS PRO-197. I have been out of the scanning game for a while too and looking to get back in.

My question is this:

I live in an area that has agencies on low-band VHF, high-band VHF, 400 MHz UHF, 800 conventional trunk and P25 digital. Would the PRO-197 be able to scan all of these bands at once?

The last scanner I purchased was a PRO-2067, which allowed me to scan all the above mentioned bands at the same time, minus P-25 of course.

I’m basically looking for a scanner that can scan everything my 2067 can, plus the digital bands too.

Thanks in advance!

Eyesell

Again, I apologize for the ignorance, but I upgraded the atenna on my 106 so I can pull in some chat from further away, what am I missing by not having a base unit...as far as listening goes.

Thanks

KD6HRI

Again, I apologize for the ignorance, but I upgraded the atenna on my 106 so I can pull in some chat from further away, what am I missing by not having a base unit...as far as listening goes.

Thanks
Upgrading your antenna on you portable will help your recieve and your unit is portable and you can take it with you closer to the action. A base unit is stationary and in a fixed position so to improve your recieve you would improve antenna. If you want to improve recieve you can upgrade your antenna on the radio itself or install an outside antenna like a discone on a push up mast to greatly improve distance reception. Hope this helped answer your question.....

KD6HRI

I also new to the site and looking at purchasing a RS PRO-197. I have been out of the scanning game for a while too and looking to get back in.

My question is this:

I live in an area that has agencies on low-band VHF, high-band VHF, 400 MHz UHF, 800 conventional trunk and P25 digital. Would the PRO-197 be able to scan all of these bands at once?

The last scanner I purchased was a PRO-2067, which allowed me to scan all the above mentioned bands at the same time, minus P-25 of course.

I’m basically looking for a scanner that can scan everything my 2067 can, plus the digital bands too.

Thanks in advance!
The scanner your looking at should handle the tasks you have inquired about and is digital too. One piece of advice.....get the USB programming cable and Win500 programming software available online to program this scanner. Doing it manually will have you pulling your hair out! Piece of advice part 2....check out Youtube and all other means on the internet to help you better understand this scanner. It was very helpful to me and will be to you! Hope this helps.....Welcome!

My question is this:

Thanks in advance!

Yes the Pro 197 can do that so can PSR 600 and PSR 500, Uniden Home Patrol, Anykind of digital scanner pretty much can do all of that.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I would suggest the programming software of your choice. There are "the big three" that most of us use, and the authors of all three are readers of these message boards.

Eyesell

If you want to improve recieve you can upgrade your antenna on the radio itself or install an outside antenna like a discone on a push up mast to greatly improve distance reception. Hope this helped answer your question.....

Most definately helped answer the questions, thank you. As a matter of fact I have a very good outside antenna, unfortunately the house I live in now the cable is to short to make it in doors where my office is. I will be purchasing a new cable in the next few weeks.

Also, someone mentioned Youtube, thanks for that suggestion as well, I've been glued to it since last night watching ppl using all sorts of scanners, get info there !!

KE0GXN

The scanner your looking at should handle the tasks you have inquired about and is digital too. One piece of advice.....get the USB programming cable and Win500 programming software available online to program this scanner. Doing it manually will have you pulling your hair out! Piece of advice part 2....check out Youtube and all other means on the internet to help you better understand this scanner. It was very helpful to me and will be to you! Hope this helps.....Welcome!

Yes the Pro 197 can do that so can PSR 600 and PSR 500, Uniden Home Patrol, Anykind of digital scanner pretty much can do all of that.

Thanks guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.