• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

New to the Hobby. Looking for advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidZak

Hi all, I'm new to the hobby and need a little help setting up my Home base CB station. I just purchased a JC Penney model: 2621 40 channel CB and a 13.8V power supply that I will be using a my base. The cb came with a Through glass window antenna. Any info on JC Penney model: 2621 would be greatly appreciated. I will be using standard tv cable with adapters to connect the antenna. Now the big question is: I have a TV antenna mounted to the roof that's not in use. Can I mount a cb antenna above the tv antenna using clamps? If so, what would be a good inexpensive antenna to use. Your input is appreciated.

Screenshot_2020-03-19-11-38-51.png

w2rea

The TV coax cable won't work. The cable needs to be 50 ohm coax. It looks like the TV antenna mast will work. It looks like the TV antenna will need to be moved down lower on the mast a foot or so. You will need a base station antenna. It sounds like the through the glass antenna you mentioned is for mobile applications. I would suggest the imax 2000 it's a inexpensive decent antenna.

I just purchased a JC Penney model: 2621 40 channel CB and a 13.8V power supply
I predict the power supply will cause a HUGE hum in your signal incoming and outgoing, due to poor filtering on the power supply.

Also, yes - you need the proper Coax or the impedence will be mis-matched.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Throw the window antenna away. It'll work great if you want to talk with someone down on the corner but it's not good much else.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Hi all, I'm new to the hobby and need a little help setting up my Home base CB station. I just purchased a JC Penney model: 2621 40 channel CB and a 13.8V power supply that I will be using a my base.

Not finding any specifics on that radio, but that's OK, give it a try.
As for the power supply, can you provide some details on that?

The cb came with a Through glass window antenna.

Yeah, toss that. They don't work well at all. You'll be lucky to get a couple of blocks with one of those.

I will be using standard tv cable with adapters to connect the antenna.

Despite what people will tell you, the 75Ω coaxial cable will work. There will be a bit of additional loss due to the impedance mismatch, but it's not going to damage your radio. It's not an ideal cable, and if your budget allows, it really is worth getting something more appropriate. If your budget is tight, it'll work. Many amateurs use old cable TV cable to connect larger antennas.

If your budget will allow, get some of the higher tier RG-8 cable, or better yet, Times-Microwave LMR-400.

Now the big question is: I have a TV antenna mounted to the roof that's not in use. Can I mount a cb antenna above the tv antenna using clamps? If so, what would be a good inexpensive antenna to use. Your input is appreciated.

Depends.
I don't see any guy wires in the photo, so adding more weight/wind load to the top of that could be a problem.
As for "good" antennas, depends on your budget. You can use a mobile CB antenna as a base, but you'll need to make sure you duplicate the ground plane under the antenna that the vehicle would have provided.

DavidZak

Yeah, toss that. They don't work well at all. You'll be lucky to get a couple of blocks with one of those.

Despite what people will tell you, the 75Ω coaxial cable will work. There will be a bit of additional loss due to the impedance mismatch, but it's not going to damage your radio. It's not an ideal cable, and if your budget allows, it really is worth getting something more appropriate. If your budget is tight, it'll work. Many amateurs use old cable TV cable to connect larger antennas.

If your budget will allow, get some of the higher tier RG-8 cable, or better yet, Times-Microwave LMR-400.

Depends.
I don't see any guy wires in the photo, so adding more weight/wind load to the top of that could be a problem.
As for "good" antennas, depends on your budget. You can use a mobile CB antenna as a base, but you'll need to make sure you duplicate the ground plane under the antenna that the vehicle would have provided.
What about a 102" whip antenna?

DavidZak

Depends.
Pyramid PS9KX Universal Compact Bench Power Supply-5 Amp Linear

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
What about a 102" whip antenna?

That would work fine, however….
Usually the 102" whips are designed to use the spring at the base. The total length should be about 108" to be resonate on CB frequencies.

Also, you still need the ground plane under the antenna. The 102/108" whips are quarter wavelength long and are designed to be mounted on a vehicle using the vehicle body as the ground plane.
But you can fabricate your own out of conduit, copper pipe, wire, etc. Do a web search on building your own 1/4 wave antenna. There's a lot of websites that will show you how to do it, along with the calculators to figure out the dimensions.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it very much. I didn't think anyone would reply.

A LOT of us got our start in CB. Don't let any ham, hobbyist or even professional tell you otherwise. CB is a great place to start. I used my dad's old CB radio back in the early 1980's with a 1/4 wave whip mounted off the fence. Was able to talk to a high school friend a few blocks away. Between CB and scanners, that let to me getting my amateur radio license. A while later I was working in the telecom industry. Now I get paid to do this stuff full time. And it all started with an old CB my dad bought at JC Penney's. I think it was a Kraco 23 channel.

DavidZak

I think the JCPenney CB models usually started with a "62". If yours has the scan feature, it might be the 6221 model.
Yes. 6221 is the Model #. I can't find any info on it. I believe it was made by Hitachi but I could be wrong. I should receive it in the mail today. It does have the scan feature.

DavidZak

I have a buddy of mine who lives about 10 miles away from me. We are looking communicate thru CB radio. The land is fairly flat country area. Is 10 miles being realistic with decent antennas mounted fairly high on the roofs?

DavidZak

A LOT of us got our start in CB. Don't let any ham, hobbyist or even professional tell you otherwise. CB is a great place to start. I used my dad's old CB radio back in the early 1980's with a 1/4 wave whip mounted off the fence. Was able to talk to a high school friend a few blocks away. Between CB and scanners, that let to me getting my amateur radio license. A while later I was working in the telecom industry. Now I get paid to do this stuff full time. And it all started with an old CB my dad bought at JC Penney's. I think it was a Kraco 23 channel.
Jc Penney Model 6221 is the correct model.

mrweather

I have a buddy of mine who lives about 10 miles away from me. We are looking communicate thru CB radio. The land is fairly flat country area. Is 10 miles being realistic with decent antennas mounted fairly high on the roofs?
Yes, all else being equal that's realistic. Back in the day I had a stock (4 watt) Radio Shack CB feeding a roof-mounted 1/4 wave groundplane antenna (about 15' AGL) and could reliably work other base stations within 10 miles.

DavidZak

Yes, all else being equal that's realistic. Back in the day I had a stock (4 watt) Radio Shack CB feeding a roof-mounted 1/4 wave groundplane antenna (about 15' AGL) and could reliably work other base stations within 10 miles.
Great, That's exactly what I'm looking to do. I have my CB. Now I'm looking to purchase my antenna. A friend of mine gave me a dual band Diamond Antenna NR770HAB 140/440 Hz antenna. Can I discard the rod and use the connector/bracket and cable purchasing a longer rod that works CB frequency? See pic.
Screenshot_2020-03-21-13-50-04.pngScreenshot_2020-03-21-13-50-23.png

Status
Not open for further replies.