• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

New to the Hobby. Looking for advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Great, That's exactly what I'm looking to do. I have my CB. Now I'm looking to purchase my antenna. A friend of mine gave me a dual band Diamond Antenna NR770HAB 140/440 Hz antenna. Can I discard the rod and use the connector/bracket and cable purchasing a longer rod that works CB frequency? See pic.
View attachment 82027View attachment 82028

That would be a lot of work. You'd need a 108" long rod, and you'd probably have to do some machining to get that to work.

Better option would be to look on line for one of the many tutorials on how to build a 1/4 wave antenna. It can be done with conduit, pipe, copper tubing, wire, etc. You may be able to reuse parts that you have.

DavidZak

That would be a lot of work. You'd need a 108" long rod, and you'd probably have to do some machining to get that to work.

Better option would be to look on line for one of the many tutorials on how to build a 1/4 wave antenna. It can be done with conduit, pipe, copper tubing, wire, etc. You may be able to reuse parts that you have.
Not much time for DYI. I need about 50 feet of cable unless I use the 75 ohm coax I have. Also a decent antenna that will reach at least 10 miles. My Budget is around $100. I would like something that will match up well without to much tuning. I don't believe my CB has a SWR meter. I will get one in the future though.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Other option, less than ideal, but that will get you on the air quickly, would be to make a dipole antenna for 11meters. It's pretty easy to do.

If you stretch it out horizontally, it'll work, but not ideally. If you can hang it from tree or other high support, so it's vertical, it'll work better.

DavidZak

Other option, less than ideal, but that will get you on the air quickly, would be to make a dipole antenna for 11meters. It's pretty easy to do.

If you stretch it out horizontally, it'll work, but not ideally. If you can hang it from tree or other high support, so it's vertical, it'll work better.
I was looking at them. Would hanging it on the TV antenna be an option or would I get interference? I'm not using the TV antenna.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
You'd need to stand it off from the mast. Easy option might be to hang it form the top and slope it down to a point away from the house. It'll make it a bit directional, but that might work in your favor if it's towards your buddies house.

As for coaxial cable...
At these lower frequencies (27MHz), the losses that you'd see between lower end cable and higher cost cable is kind of minimal. If budget is the concern, you might do well with some RG-58 at the low end of the cost scale. RG-6 from your local hardware store will work, too, but there will be a bit additional loss.
If your budget will swing it, get some RG-8, LMR-400, etc.

But the loss numbers between those cables are likely not going to make enough difference at these frequencies.

DavidZak

You'd need to stand it off from the mast. Easy option might be to hang it form the top and slope it down to a point away from the house. It'll make it a bit directional, but that might work in your favor if it's towards your buddies house.

As for coaxial cable...
At these lower frequencies (27MHz), the losses that you'd see between lower end cable and higher cost cable is kind of minimal. If budget is the concern, you might do well with some RG-58 at the low end of the cost scale. RG-6 from your local hardware store will work, too, but there will be a bit additional loss.
If your budget will swing it, get some RG-8, LMR-400, etc.

But the loss numbers between those cables are likely not going to make enough difference at these frequencies.
Do I need 1/4 wave 11 meter dipole? Or just 11 meter dipole antenna? I see several on ebay very cheap.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
A friend of mine gave me a dual band Diamond Antenna NR770HAB 140/440 Hz antenna.
That Diamond antenna is designed for VHF and UHF ham bands... it won't work at all for CB frequencies. If you're looking for maximum range for your CB, you're going to need a full-sized base antenna (either quarter or half-wave), mounted at least high enough to clear the peak of the roof. You probably won't be happy trying to use a mobile antenna as a base station.

It's also likely that the cable attached to the Diamond antenna is less than 20' long (you'll probably need longer) and it appears to be RG58-type cable. If you want to get maximum power to your base antenna, you should consider using RG8-type cable (it's a bit thicker and more efficient).

DavidZak

That Diamond antenna is designed for VHF and UHF ham bands... it won't work at all for CB frequencies. If you're looking for maximum range for your CB, you're going to need a full-sized base antenna (either quarter or half-wave), mounted at least high enough to clear the peak of the roof. You probably won't be happy trying to use a mobile antenna as a base station.

It's also likely that the cable attached to the Diamond antenna is less than 20' long (you'll probably need longer) and it appears to be RG58-type cable. If you want to get maximum power to your base antenna, you should consider using RG8-type cable (it's a bit thicker and more efficient).

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Do I need 1/4 wave 11 meter dipole? Or just 11 meter dipole antenna? I see several on ebay very cheap.

Same thing. Sellers on E-Bay are going to post all kinds of things to get you to buy their antenna. Dipole antenna is probably the quickest/cheapest way to get up and running.

But, you've got to be careful. The antenna will make or break your system. A dedicated CB vertical antenna mounted up high is going to give you a better chance of reaching your 10 mile goal -reliably-
A dipole antenna like that should work if it's up high enough, but you may have to spend some time messing around with the install to get it to work ideally.

There's some science that goes into all this stuff. Unfortunately there is no off the shelf solution that is going to necessary solve your requirements. It's easy to throw a lot of money at your radio system and make it work the way you want. But when you have budget limitations, it's going to be harder. Not impossible, but harder.

The keys to a good system are:
Having a good antenna up high. The higher, the better.
Feed that antenna with good coaxial cable.
Have a radio that has not only a good transmitter, but a good receiver. Doesn't do any good if your radio is deaf.

With a few hundred dollars to throw at this, you could probably buy a directional CB antenna, good coax and get your 10 miles easily. With low budget antennas, it's going to be harder. I want to make sure that's clear, since we don't know your exact location, situation, local conditions, etc, anything we are suggesting is sort of a guess. In other words, ultimately it's on you. We're trying to help.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

prcguy

There are plenty of OK CB base antennas under $100 like the Antron 99, Sirio M400 Starduster, etc. Just click on Amazon and it will show up in a day or two.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
And with all this, keep in mind that it's going to depend on your buddies setup also. If he's got a cheap/inefficient antenna with crappy cable and a deaf radio, no amount of money you spend on your end is going to fix that.
So, hopefully your friend has a good setup already, or is working on his end, too.

DavidZak

Same thing. Sellers on E-Bay are going to post all kinds of things to get you to buy their antenna. Dipole antenna is probably the quickest/cheapest way to get up and running.

But, you've got to be careful. The antenna will make or break your system. A dedicated CB vertical antenna mounted up high is going to give you a better chance of reaching your 10 mile goal -reliably-
A dipole antenna like that should work if it's up high enough, but you may have to spend some time messing around with the install to get it to work ideally.

There's some science that goes into all this stuff. Unfortunately there is no off the shelf solution that is going to necessary solve your requirements. It's easy to throw a lot of money at your radio system and make it work the way you want. But when you have budget limitations, it's going to be harder. Not impossible, but harder.

Have a radio that has not only a good transmitter, but a good receiver. Doesn't do any good if your radio is deaf.

With a few hundred dollars to throw at this, you could probably buy a directional CB antenna, good coax and get your 10 miles easily. With low budget antennas, it's going to be harder. I want to make sure that's clear, since we don't know your exact location, situation, local conditions, etc, anything we are suggesting is sort of a guess. In other words, ultimately it's on you. We're trying to help.
And with all this, keep in mind that it's going to depend on your buddies setup also. If he's got a cheap/inefficient antenna with crappy cable and a deaf radio, no amount of money you spend on your end is going to fix that.
So, hopefully your friend has a good setup already, or is working on his end, too.
Okay. So I ordered the Dipole antenna above and this cable. Thanks for you help. I will make this work with a little effort and help from you guys.
Screenshot_2020-03-21-17-33-33.png

DavidZak

It's not a big deal if I can't reach the 10 miles. I'll get there eventually. I'll enjoy getting the most out of what I have to work with. There's all ways room for upgrades. I'm sure that's half the fun of this hobby.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
It's not a big deal if I can't reach the 10 miles. I'll get there eventually. I'll enjoy getting the most out of what I have to work with. There's all ways room for upgrades. I'm sure that's half the fun of this hobby.

Yeah, stick within your budget and have fun. You'll learn as you go. As you gain experience, you will be able to make better choices about what you want to do.

DavidZak

Yeah, stick within your budget and have fun. You'll learn as you go. As you gain experience, you will be able to make better choices about what you want to do.
I didn't realize how much space the dipole needs to be set up until I did a little research.
I would not have enough cable to do it. I'm gonna return it and buy a base antenna. I did spend the extra money on good cable. So I'm still looking for a good antenna that wont break the bank.

DavidZak

Well, I got her up and running. I put a lil-wil antenna outside the window on top the truck and Bingo I met a few locals. One of the guy's has an Antron A99 for sale $45. He volunteered to help me with the setup also. They asked what my handle was. I let them pick. GrassHopper it is.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-03-23-20-58-28.png
    Screenshot_2020-03-23-20-58-28.png
    560.6 KB · Views: 16
Status
Not open for further replies.