• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

New to the hobby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Demogawd

I always wanted a CB and finally got one. So obviously I'm new to this. My buddy gave me a Cobra 25 LTD classic. Is this a good radio? I just went to a cb shop and had it installed along with an antenna. Like I said I don't know anything about this stuff so I want to learn. Any advice would be great.

Oldme

The Cobra 25 is a nice compact CB that even has mike gain.
All legal CB s are limited to 4 watts per FCC.
You should have no problem making contacts on it.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Hey, if it works, and it was free, sounds like the perfect radio!

Advice: So much that goes into making radios work well is in the antenna. A good antenna system will make a huge difference in performance. Learning this early will put you well ahead of the crowd. So many people think that tweaking CB's, Peak and Tune, linear amplifiers, etc. improve coverage, but that's a load of crap. A good antenna will make all the difference. Amateur radio operators can talk around the world on 4 watts, and they know it's all in the antenna.

k8krh

The antenna is the key, I use a WILSON 1000, an expensive antenna but it works talking back to the home at 25 miles isn't bad. I had a K40 not as good, a whale of a difference.
That radio will do you just fine,you might want to try a power microphone on it, I use a d-104,m6b, hand held mic.
DOCTOR/795

davidnh

Although I don't have it anymore.I have had a Wilson 1000 in the past..And I agree it's a great antenna.

Demogawd

the antenna on mine is a browning, don't know what model. I do know it was designed to be a magnetic one but I had the shop owner take off the magnetic portion and put it on a bracket on the opposite side of my truck radio antenna in the front. That's what he had so I just said put that on mine too. It seems to be working. I'm sure as I get more knowledge, I'll change things up. Thanks for the comments and advice.

oldcb

i'm guessing by your location that your at the military base about half way between springfield and st. louis, may not hear a whole lot in that area, i live only three miles from interstate 80 and only occasionally here truckers carrying on a conversation, though there is a great bunch of guys (locals) that i talk with here, my cb also comes in handy to and from where i work (a suburb of Cleavland), saved me more than once with traffic issues, good to see a new be though, and yes, antennas and good coax cable are the most important thing to get right................

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.