New to the Pro-164 and scanning

Status
Not open for further replies.

houseoffun

I am a noobie to all this stuff and have no clue what I'm doing. I'm in Oxford County and I think I have the frequencies I need for it but I have no clue where to enter it and how to go about entering it into the scanner.

houseoffun

Yea that was the first thing I went to was my manual when I got it. They are very user friendly with them and make it hard to understand when you don't already know anything about scanners and stuff. Plus how do you think I got the link to this website... it was in the manual, lol.
I'm looking for for someone to explain to me what the manual is actualy saying because I have no clue what it's talking about.

sarge2268

Scanner programming

Hi Newbie,
What don't you understand in the directions. If you can post specific questions, some of us may be able to help you.

I have been around scanners since we had to purchase a crystal for each channel we wanted and install it in the scanner. Maybe we could monitor 10 channels at most.

Most of todays scanners get programmed in a similar manner. You press the program key (could be marked 'pgm' or 'prog' or something similar). This should take you to the first channel to program. This could be channel '01' or sometimes channel '00'. You enter the frequency you want to hear (like 154.295) and press enter (ent) key. You are ready to listen to activity on that channel. While still on that channel press the program key again. It should automatically take you to the next channel. Keep entering the frequencies in your area the same way.

When they are all entered you can listen to one channel, or press scan to listen for activity on all entered channels. If there is too much activity on one channel (like you entered a NOAA weather channel, which has a constant transmission) your scanner will stay on the active channel until it is quiet. While on this channel you can press the lock out (L/O) key. The frequency will still be entered, but your scanner will skip over it while scanning.

If you have any other questions, post them and I'll see if I can help.

houseoffun

Well I never understood the Trunking thing. It gives like three different modes and I'm not sure what one I need for what I'm doing and don't really know what to enter in for the whole trunking thing. I'm mainly just trying to lissen into the police, fire, and ambulance broadcasts. I have the paper that shows me the frequency for the stuff for my county I just don't know how to set it all up. I thank all of you who have responded on here too. It's good to see people are willing to help the newbs here, lol.

lost_in_maine

Well I never understood the Trunking thing. It gives like three different modes and I'm not sure what one I need.

Don't worry about the trunking, unless you intend to travel to Portland, not much usage for it here in Maine...YET!

Have you ever considered using software, and a programming cable to program the radio?

KI6ABZ

Premium Subscriber
I second that. The few bucks for a programming cable and Don Starr's editing tools is money WELL spent.

lost_in_maine

houseoffun

alright thanks a lot for the help everyone that has replied. I was thinking about getting the cable just haven't really gotten a chance to head out to norway to get one. I'll download the software and get teh cable once I can. Thanks again for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.