New to the Scanning World : Introduced with Pro-96

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
sublime40 said:
so i understand now that the pro-96 doesnt follow our certain state's system only because it wasnt specifically designed to. why wouldnt this be upgradeable though? doenst the 96 allow firmware flashing?

also, if the scanner cant fully track the starcom-21 system, what is the best way to hear anything? is it just tune the scanner to a few of the channels that migh be bieng used, and thats it? wouldnt that mean the converstations would be broken up because the radio cannot follow the directions given?
Sublime,
Sorry, but the Pro-96, as well as the other GRE manufactured scanners sold by Radio Shack, does not allow firmware flash updates by end users. That's only available for the newer Uniden scanners, such as the 396, 330, 246, 296, 796, 996, and a few others. Even in those that are updateable, there are limits to the process. Some features, or lack thereof, are hard coded into the processor board and may not be changeable through an EEPROM flash. They may also be outside the capability of the scanner receiver or procesor as manufactured. For example, no amount of firmware flashing will make a Uniden BC246 or BR330 into a digital capable scanner. They lack the digital decoder.

As for entering the 700mhz frequencies, and monitoring conventionally. that will be hit & miss. You'll have no way to track the conversation if it jumps to a different frequency, and you won't get any talkgroup display to help you identify which ubit(s) are talking. You also be unable to scan the site in 'closed' mode, restricting your listening to only the groups you want to hear. Look carefully at the STARCOM21 sites. If there is one, or more, sites with only 800Mhz sites within range of you, you'd be better off concentrating on those, rather than trying to make sense of disjointed conversations from a 700mhz site that won't track.

sublime40

apparently, all of the state digital towers near me are 800mhz. does this mean i can track them normally then?

i think i know why its not working. there is no talkgroups for my specific area, and i saw a notice that said the digital comms were just recently installed, and are not fully functional. i do get a signal strength on one of the primary control channels, but i dont have any local talkgroups to listen to.

the only weird thing is, i have entered all of the local regular fm channels for the state police as well, and i still get nothing. do they talk on radio much? local city channels are non-stop....

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
sublime40 said:
apparently, all of the state digital towers near me are 800mhz. does this mean i can track them normally then?

i think i know why its not working. there is no talkgroups for my specific area, and i saw a notice that said the digital comms were just recently installed, and are not fully functional. i do get a signal strength on one of the primary control channels, but i dont have any local talkgroups to listen to.

the only weird thing is, i have entered all of the local regular fm channels for the state police as well, and i still get nothing. do they talk on radio much? local city channels are non-stop....
If the only frequencies listed on one or more sites near you are 800, then you'd be able to monitor that site. That means all of the frequencies on that site, not just the contol channel ones (the red & blue highlighted in the database). There are also some sites that are not confimred as yet (no asterix
[*] by the site number). Those may not be active yet. Suggest you ask in the Illinois state forum for more information as to specifics on which sites are active, as well as which conventional frequencies are still in use.

sublime40

guess i could have not missed this on the state police database page-
"Sites which have been confirmed through monitoring with the PRO96/PRO2096/BC396/BC996 have an asterisk (*) beside the site name. These sites are numbered by the DECIMAL EQUIVALENT OF THE HEXADECIMAL Tower/Site ID number that appears on the PRO96/2096/396/BC996. All alternate control channel data has been confirmed using the PRO96COM program (for sites showing multiple control channels in red)."

i dont think the talkgroups are up for my area yet. i will check out the other forum.

hey, local s.w.a.t. training radio just kicked in! (analog signal but still)

Status
Not open for further replies.