New to the site and had a digital question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crawly

Hello all.
My name is Shawn and I'm from a pretty small town in Ohio known as Wintersville located in Jefferson County. It's pretty quiet, but scanning is pretty interesting.

I had a question regarding digital scanning. I currently have a Radio Shack PRO-2055 I use at home as a base and a Radio Shack PRO-164 I use as a mobile and to monitor a local airport when at home. So far, I've had great success with the Radio Shack scanners. I believe I read somewhere that the Radio Shack scanners are just re skinned GRE scanners. Well some of them anyways.

I spoke with someone at Scannermaster.com who told me that a standard trunking scanner would work fine for the area, but if I wanted to pick up the Ohio Highway Patrol as well as ODOT (Ohio Department of Transportation), I'd need to go digital.
So I'm torn. I'd like to get a digital base scanner, but I'm not sure if ODOT and the Highway Patrol are worth the $500.00 pricetag. I'm assuming that everything will go digital at some point. Just looking to get some opinions. Thanks!

mciupa

Hi Crawly, if you are using it at home, then unless you really have to listen to the OHP, perhaps you can let it go for now.

I sometimes travel, and I like to have a digital handheld in case the area I am visiting is digital.

Status
Not open for further replies.