New to the World of Digi Scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

AA0PB

Premium Subscriber
I just picked up a BCD996XT, I downloaded FreeSCAN and do not have a clue on how to get it set-up. Does anyone have a file I can use that has the MN systems?

Thanks,
Phil AA0PB

AA0PB

Premium Subscriber
Never mind, upgraded so freescan can download the info so I can set-up the radio.

But any tips would be helpful.

Phil, AA0PB

blue5011

I use Freescan w/ a 996XT and have it setup by agency (QK 4 County Sheriff/ Fire, QK 5 State Patrol, QK 2 MNDoT plows, QK 9 EMS). I normally use "ID SCAN".

inlandpatch

Premium Subscriber
Thank you I am using FreeScan and slowly learning it.

What is ID Scan?
for trunking systems you have two options on how to scan, you have 1) ID SCAN and 2) ID SEARCH
ID SCAN: is basically you are only scanning what you have programmed on your scanner,
ID SEARCH: is the scanner listens to the Control Channel and goes to directly to the channel that is currently talking.

** I recommend you use the ID SCAN feature for MN because it is a state wide system and everyone uses that system Police/Fire/Public Works etc...

blue5011

What is ID Scan?

Normally my Quick Key #4 is for the County Sheriff/ Fire/ EMS talkgroups (using ID SCAN). Let's say it is opening of deer season and I want to see if the DNR is in the area, so I opt for "ID SEARCH" mode. Then *any* transmitter on the three local towers I scan will show up on my log.

ID SCAN = specific TG's
ID SEARCH = any TG"s

Yes, it takes some fine-tuning to figure it all out, but eventually you will get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.