New to this: BCo Volly.

MK_MD88

I recently just bought a Unication G5. New to this whole pager/scanner stuff. Any who, I am a volunteer at a Baltimore Co station that is going away with pager and using Active 911 smartphone application. Its a love hate relationship for me right now. Active 911 has great features but with the IOS and Watch OS the notifications seem to not go off or go absolutely blizerk and its buggy at times. A couple reasons I chose to buy this with my own money. 1. Scanner, we like to listen to ADO around the station and would like to be able to listen to police traffic as well to get the jump on the career stations in their first due since we don't get the ring downs. :) 2. A Pager, Like a said with the Active 911 it can be buggy as times and the notifications/ tones are so light I don't wake up to them, but I will wake up to a traditional pager every time when responding from home.

My question is being new to this and having to program this on my own, can I use this as a station page and scanner? YouTube is my best friend when it comes to learning new things but all the videos seems to be outdated. Also, DMR, what is it and did I need the upgrade?

Thanks

Last edited:

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I recently just bought a Unication G5. New to this whole pager/scanner stuff. Any who, I am a volunteer at a Baltimore Co station that is going away with pager and using Active 911 smartphone application. Its a love hate relationship for me right now. Active 911 has great features but with the IOS and Watch OS the notifications seem to not go off or go absolutely blizerk and its buggy at times. A couple reasons I chose to buy this with my own money. 1. Scanner, we like to listen to ADO around the station and would like to be able to listen to police traffic as well to get the jump on the career stations in their first due since we don't get the ring downs. :) 2. A Pager, Like a said with the Active 911 it can be buggy as times and the notifications/ tones are so light I don't wake up to them, but I will wake up to a traditional pager every time when responding from home.

My question is being new to this and having to program this on my own, can I use this as a station page and scanner? YouTube is my best friend when it comes to learning new things but all the videos seems to be outdated. Also, DMR, what is it and did I need the upgrade?

Thanks
You don't need DMR for your use case as the county uses P25. There are some Baltimore County people that contribute to this forum, and some have Unication pagers. TBH, I'm not sure what channel or tg carries FTO in Baltimore County, but I have heard quick tones sounding when working in the area, I think on the North tg? What station tones would you want to be alerted by? Not sure what "ADO" is, can you explain? A G4/G5 pager can be set up to scan talk groups, but perhaps it won't be as customizable as a true scanner.

tvengr

Well Known Member
If you want a scanner, the Uniden SDS100 handheld and SDS200 base/mobile are the only ones that will work reliably on the Baltimore County simulcast system. They are the only ones that will receive the system at my home. I also use a G5. Which station are you with? I have programmed scanners for Baltimore County firefighters. I have heard tones on a North division talkgroup also. The ADO is the Administrative Duty Officer.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
What is the format of the tone set? They are very fast compared to what is used in Anne Arundel (QCII / Plectron encoder) and Queen Anne, and what was used in Montgomery until they recently discontinued them.

MK_MD88

What station tones would you want to be alerted by? Not sure what "ADO" is, can you explain?
Wise Ave. ADO is a TG that every station career and volunteer follow because most time the BC get the heads up of a working fire before the tons drop. Administrative Duty Officer. Just a FD liaison in the dispatch center that lets the BC know.

Last edited:

tvengr

Well Known Member
Great train garden! I have my SDS100 and SDS200's programmed just like the zones in the Baltimore County Fire radios. Police are included. They are setup so that you could monitor only the East Division if that is what you would like to do. I also have files for all of the surrounding jurisdictions. If you would like to see the scanners in action, I would be happy to meet you and demonstrate them. We could meet at Jacksonville Station 47. I have programmed scanners for several firefighters there.

MK_MD88

Great train garden! I have my SDS100 and SDS200's programmed just like the zones in the Baltimore County Fire radios. Police are included. They are setup so that you could monitor only the East Division if that is what you would like to do. I also have files for all of the surrounding jurisdictions. If you would like to see the scanners in action, I would be happy to meet you and demonstrate them. We could meet at Jacksonville Station 47. I have programmed scanners for several firefighters there.
The train garden just opened this Saturday. Since I just purchased the G5 I'll wait a few to purchase another. I'm just trying to get some information on programming the G5 for monitoring BCoFD talk groups and tone outs for wise ave.

tvengr

Well Known Member
I have a G5 file for Baltimore County Fire. I can add another zone with custom knob positions. Please let me know exactly what you would like to monitor. For example: Fire East Div and North Point PD. Fire all divisions and all PD precincts. Fire all divisions and North Point PD. Do you want to include EMRC? I can setup knob positions for a variety of combinations.

MK_MD88

I have a G5 file for Baltimore County Fire. I can add another zone with custom knob positions. Please let me know exactly what you would like to monitor. For example: Fire East Div and North Point PD. Fire all divisions and all PD precincts. Fire all divisions and North Point PD. Do you want to include EMRC? I can setup knob positions for a variety of combinations.

A member at the station has a G4. I am going to use his file just update the model and try to get the paging to work for Wise Ave off of the North talkgroup.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
A member at the station has a G4. I am going to use his file just update the model and try to get the paging to work for Wise Ave off of the North talkgroup.
If you can share that file, I'd like to look at the tone format.

MK_MD88

If you can share that file, I'd like to look at the tone format.
It's on my macbook at home. I'll see if I can remove his personal information before sharing.
He has a **** ton of zones and groups. All the way from pa to eastern shore/OC.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
OK, thx - you should be able to export the file that does not have any serial numbers / PII embedded in it.