BCD436HP/BCD536HP: New to this scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve9465

Premium Subscriber
Bought this scanner because my area(Ocean City, Md.) is going to the p25 soon. I receive a lot more area than my old bc246t. The problem is I really just want the Ocean City edacs system.There is just to much coming in and I miss a lot.I am trying to figure out how to get rid of some but it just keeps coming back. Any help out there??

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Bought this scanner because my area(Ocean City, Md.) is going to the p25 soon. I receive a lot more area than my old bc246t. The problem is I really just want the Ocean City edacs system.There is just to much coming in and I miss a lot.I am trying to figure out how to get rid of some but it just keeps coming back. Any help out there??
Steve,

Are you using a Favorites list?
Or, as I suspect because you say 'it keeps coming back', just entering your location (such as your zip code), and maybe the range, and then just using the main database?

You can reduce the range and I suspect that will cut some of the traffic. But your best bet is to create a Favorites List and only enter what you want, like the EDACS system.

In Sentinel, click on the US database in the upper end of the left side window,
Now, click your state (Maryland) to expand the list of counties.
Next, click on your county, Worcester
Then click on County Systems to see a list of what is in the database.

To add the EDACS system (Worcester County/Ocean city), <RIGHT> click on it.
From the pop-up menu, select Append to add that system to a Favorites list.
If you do not have any Favorites lists, then select 'New Favorites List'
Sentinel will ask you to give the list a name of your choice, then will add the EDACS system to that list.

If you also wanted to add the conventional frequencies in use in your county, then, back up at the database listing for your county, under County Systems, <Right> click on the item listed as simply 'Worcester'.
Choose Append from the pop-up menu, and then choose the list you just created for the EDACS system.
Note that you might also want to add the Worcester/Ocean City P25 system, which notes in the database say will be activated later this year.

Once you have the Favorites list created, you can edit it to either delete, or simply 'Avoid' frequencies and talkgroups that are not of interest to you.
To Edit, click on the Favorites List Editor icon. That's the one that resembles a Star with a pencil over it, under the "V" in View of the top menu.

In the editor, you can either avoid the conventional frequencies that are not of interest (if you added those), and also the talkgroups on the EDACS system that you are not interested in, or simply delete them.

If you added the P25 system that is not in use yet, then click on that system's name on the Favorites List Editor.
With the system name highlighted, click on the Options tab in the right side window. On the Options page, be sure that ID Search is set to ON. that way, as agencies begin the move to the new system, you would hear them. Once you have identified the agency, as well as the usage, then add that talkgroup to the system & give it a text tag as to what it is. Be sure and submit any new information to the database. That way, once updated, it will start appearing in Sentinel from the weekly updates.

Also b sure that you have the service types you want enabled, and those not of interest not active. That can be edited in Sentinel with the Profile Editor, using the icon that resembles a page with a pencil over it (just to the left of the Favorites list editor icon).

Also in the Profile Editor, on the Scan selection tab, clear the check mark under "Monitor Full Database", so that the scanner only uses your Favorites list, not pulling in those extra entries from the main database.

More information can be found here:
Easier to Read BCD436/536HP Digital Scanner Manual
and
BCDX36HP Sentinel Software Manual

steve9465

Premium Subscriber
A Big Thanks

Hiegtx, Ty. With a big help from you, some reading, a little trial and error, I have what I want. The p 25 loaded up with it. Will keep an eye out for any transmissions after they start it up. Didn't do the services search right away so that stomped me a little. So much easier than the bc246t. Cost me almost an extra 100 bucks to get that running right. Again ty.

Status
Not open for further replies.