New to this

Status
Not open for further replies.

trailrider70

Premium Subscriber
Hello, I would like to get back into scanning again. I used to listen to scanners years ago and it seems that a number of agencies in my area now use frequencies that I no longer can hear with my older equiptment (radio shack pro 2004). I am interested in purchasing a hand held scanner that is capable of hearing these frequencies (I believe they are trunked).I am looking for anything new or used, does anyone have any suggestions on what to purchase? and If possible, can someone tell me how much my Pro 2004 is worth?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Re how much the 2004 is worth - it's worth more if the display is good and any mods (there were a TON of them for that scanner) were done on it. Still quite useable on other services such as milair, RR, aircraft and more - even if your area has gone digital. I had one for years until the volume pot gave out on it, and didn't have anyone who knew of a replacement.

Before anyone can advise you on what handheld you should get, we need to know where you are. Go to the blue toolbar, left under the thread title and click on User CP. The county/state is all that is really needed. After that, folks can start advising.

73 (means 'best regards') Mike

bkantor

The 2004 pops up quite often on eBay - I have 2, one I bought when they first came out and one I got on eBay for about $60. Four recently sold on eBay - one for $81, one for $110 one for $99.95 and another for $43 with a bad backlight. As Mike said, depends on condition, mods, etc. Also on eBay it depends on how many are up for sale at a given time, the time of year (never sell after Xmas when nobody has $$!!)
If you can afford it, go with a digital handheld so you don't have an instantly obsolete radio (like a GRE-500/Pro-106). If you just want to do simple non-trunking or non digital trunking there are alot of good bargains to be had out there.
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.