New to this!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

trese1230

I just received my first ever scanner yesterday. It's the Whistler WS1040 digital scanner. I'm a news hound and figured it was time to get one of these. Since I'm brand new, but pretty smart, I was wondering if you would recommend downloading the channels from this site, as suggested in the manual. Or if you recommend manually programming it, or is it easiest to meet up with someone who already has the channels programmed and sync the scanners? I'm in Central LR and would like to get the LRPD, ASP, and surrounding areas first. I used to listen to this website in the past but when they got rid of LRPD I stopped. Any suggestions would be appreciated! I've never programmed a scanner before and it's a little intimidating.

scottymcneill8657

Premium Subscriber
Use software- Win500 - doing this unit by hand is a pain. You do need a premium subscript here to use the web import feature though. If you know someone with a scanner that has what you want and can clone it for you that's great but I do not recommend doing it by hand- it's not worth it. System you are probably going to want is the Arkansas Wireless Information Network (AWIN). LRPD and ASP are digital encrypted so good luck with that but you should still be able to get Little Rock Fire and a few other things. This should get you a good portion of the surrounding counties as well. You might also want to look at the "Easier to Read Pro-651/652/106/197 - WS1040/1065 - PSR 500/600
Digital Scanner Manual" as well (http://new.marksscanners.com/106_197/106_197.shtml); to say the book that comes with the WS1040 is confusing is a bit of an understatement.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
ASP AHP etc is NOT encrypted. LRPD NLRPD ARE. LRFD, NLRFD, MmlPD and FD etc are all clear. Most of the AWIN is clear. Warning, AWIN is upgrading to Phase II TDMA over the next year or so. So be aware that you will need a Phase II capable scanner by 2020.

Here is the listing for the AWIN.
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=3918

And yes, I did reconfirm it again when I went in November to Hot Springs.

Last edited by a moderator:

trese1230

Thank you

I'll take a look tonight. I was definitely hoping I could just clone someone's but knew that would be too ways. With the AWIN do I have to physically put those in there to program or does this website download that onto the scanner for me?

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
I'll take a look tonight. I was definitely hoping I could just clone someone's but knew that would be too ways. With the AWIN do I have to physically put those in there to program or does this website download that onto the scanner for me?

With the software and a subscription to this website you can import the system. A P25 system (what AWIN is) requires:

Control frequencies for the towers in your area
Talkgroups for who you want to listen to

jhsands

Feed Provider
With the software and a subscription to this website you can import the system. A P25 system (what AWIN is) requires:

Control frequencies for the towers in your area
Talkgroups for who you want to listen to
Some talkgroups will be TDMA but most will be continue to be FDMA.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
"AWIN is upgrading to Phase II TDMA over the next year or so. So be aware that you will need a Phase II capable scanner by 2020"

"Most" depends on who you want to listen to - state agencies will be phase II by then, as milf said...best to plan accordingly now, especially if buying a new scanner (though the top tier ones from both Uniden and Whistler have phase II capabilities now). Of course, we know how P25 works and it will revert to 1 if an older radio is using it but much with be 2 in the next couple of years.

Status
Not open for further replies.