New to trunk tracking-need help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RevRon1

Premium Subscriber
I purchased a uniden bc250d to follow local police, fire, and the city bus company I work for. I have had scanners in the past and am able to program it in the traditional manor, but am lost when it comes to trunk tracking. I am able to get one side of conversations of the agencies I want to listen to, but this pretty much is the extent of my knowlege. What do I need as far as information, (frequencies, talk group id's, etc), where do I find them, what do I do with them once I found them? The manual has pretty much just confused me more. I need really detailed help! Please rescue me! (LOL!) I am sure there are plenty more of simular posts... Thanks so much! All help appreciated!
Ron

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I purchased a uniden bc250d to follow local police, fire, and the city bus company I work for. I have had scanners in the past and am able to program it in the traditional manor, but am lost when it comes to trunk tracking. I am able to get one side of conversations of the agencies I want to listen to, but this pretty much is the extent of my knowlege. What do I need as far as information, (frequencies, talk group id's, etc), where do I find them, what do I do with them once I found them? The manual has pretty much just confused me more. I need really detailed help! Please rescue me! (LOL!) I am sure there are plenty more of simular posts... Thanks so much! All help appreciated!
Ron

Lots of info right here on this sight that you are on now.

Here is a good place to start for trunking info, follow all of the links on this page and you'll be a pro in no time.

Trunked Radio Systems - The RadioReference Wiki

As far as where to find all the info on frequencies, talk groups that you want to listen to, etc. the database on this sight you are on now is the most complete you will find anywhere.

RadioReference.com - Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference Database

As far as any more specific questions, let us know where you are from, and what it is exactly that you are trying to program. Give us a link from that database I referenced above so we can see exactly what you are interested in hearing.

Also let us know what, if any, software you are using to program the scanner.

Last edited:

LeapFrog

Hopefully you don't need a rebanding-capable scanner

The BC250D was a good scanner in its time, but unfortunately it doesn't support rebanded systems.

RevRon1

Premium Subscriber
Collins Communications #1

System Name: Collins Communications #1
County: Larimer
System Type: LTR Standard
System Voice: Analog
Last Updated: February 23, 2012, 10:35 am (Updated Talkgroups (11 Updated))

This is the system I am trying to listen to. I am interested in transit ops, police and fire. I am just confused about how to actualy input the data into the scanner and how to "set it up" to work properly. i can receive the repeaters for this on the 800. frequencies. Again, any and all help is appreciated! Thanks way much! Ron

captclint

Mentor
I don't have a BC250D, but I think it is fairly similar to the 796. Basically, you need to select a bank where the 1st 20 channels in the bank are not used. You need to press menu. scan option, trunk, then rotate the selector to get to the bank where you want to use. The select trunk type, ON, and LT(for the trunk type) Then go to the trunk channel, and and select the 1st channel in the bank.(I.E. 101,201, 301,etc)
Now you enter the the 1st frequency in the list from our database: 461.33750

Then press menu until you get back to the next channel number selection. Here you must go to the 4th channel in the bank and enter 461.41250

Repeat this until you have all the frequencies entered. Be sure that you put them in the channels 9, 13, and 17per the table: http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=4817

Now you can hit scan. I would hit the trunk button until you see the words IDseach. This will allow you to hear everything. Later, you may want to enter only the talkgroups you want to hear in the IDscan mode. We can help with that, but I suggest you stick with ID search for a while.

Now for the real question. You say you want to listen to transit ops, police and fire. I don't see any fire units on this system, and police are really just security officers. Most of the police, fire and EMS are on State of Colorado DTRS I am not sure the 250 will receive this digital system, but that is for another post if you really want to try to program this system.

Last edited:

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Now for the real question. You say you want to listen to transit ops, police and fire. I don't see any fire units on this system, and police are really just security officers. Most of the police, fire and EMS are on State of Colorado DTRS I am not sure the 250 will receive this digital system, but that is for another post if you really want to try to program this system.
The BC250D (even with the digital card installed) will not track a true P25 Standard system, such as DTRS. It will work for a Motorola Type II system, that has digital talkgroups (that's not what DTRS is).

As LeapFrog already noted, it won't track Motorola systems that have been rebanded, if a custom table is required. However, that would not apply to LTR or EDACS systems, where you are simply entering the new frequencies, in the correct LCN positions.

RevRon1

Premium Subscriber
Thank you, Clint. this was a lot of help! I get the frequencies in the right spot, but not sure I am putting in the id s correctly. I am assuming it is an LTR system since that is what the data base says. Thanks! Ron

captclint

Mentor
Thank you, Clint. this was a lot of help! I get the frequencies in the right spot, but not sure I am putting in the id s correctly. I am assuming it is an LTR system since that is what the data base says. Thanks! Ron
Yes, it is LTR. The ID's do not have to be in any order. Use the "." to put a dash "-" as shown in the database. You can also put them in as you see them. I think you just hit "Trunk" when there is an ID showing during a conversation, and it will enter that ID, and give you a chance to put in 16 characters of description for that ID(if you don't know what it is, you can always add it later).

RevRon1

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, everyone! I STILL cant receive anything when I program the frequencies in proper position and talk group id s in. I get plenty of stuff from the repeaters but a lot of one sided conversations. Not sure what the move is...

captclint

Mentor
Thanks, everyone! I STILL cant receive anything when I program the frequencies in proper position and talk group id s in. I get plenty of stuff from the repeaters but a lot of one sided conversations. Not sure what the move is...
One sided conversations often indicate that not all of the LCN(channels) have been found. If a reply is received by the controller and the LCN that started the conversation is now busy with another call, the controller tries to shift to one of the other LCN's, and you would see the frequency changed but no one is aware that the channel has changed. When the controller shifts to a LCN for which you do not have yet (LCN 03 for example), you will not hear it, but everyone with the TGID will hear it.

RR members spend many hours working on finding all the LCN's, but it is not easy, and sometimes they just give up. This system looks like there may be a lot of missing LCN's.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.