New to trunking scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

RWS23499

I live in Sapulpa Ok., (Creek County) and would like to listen to county law enforcement and any other channels I can. Not necesarily Highway Patrol. Will I have to buy a digital scanner or can I buy one of the cheaper trunking scanners. Really didn't want to spend $500 on a scanner. I have a couple of old scanners, Uniden BC 855 XLT. They won't pick up a whole lot except the towns around here that are still on the old 155.700 channel. All help appreciated. Rick

mciupa

Canadian Database Admin
Hi RWS23499 welcome to RadioReference :)

An analog trunktracker will do fine on the Oklahoma DSP trunk system.
Your talkgroups are listed as analog mode.
33296 A Sapulpa Police A Dispatch
33328 A Sapulpa Police B Secondary
33360 A Sapulpa Fire A -- Dispatch
33392 A Sapula Fire B

go to the WIKI and click on Analog trunktrackers to see which model you would prefer.

RWS23499

New User

Thank you MCIUPA for your fast reply. Went to RS yesterday and purchase a Pro 163 scanner. Had them program it for me. I don't think they got it right. I plugged it in this morning and have heard nothing. They used Scancat-Lite-Plus software to program this scanner.
The RS manual is a little confusing.
May need an outside antenna, since I live outside of Sapulpa.
Do I need to use a different software and try to program this myself?
All help greatly appreciated.

N8IAA

Thank you MCIUPA for your fast reply. Went to RS yesterday and purchase a Pro 163 scanner. Had them program it for me. I don't think they got it right. I plugged it in this morning and have heard nothing. They used Scancat-Lite-Plus software to program this scanner. <It is known as scancr**p:)>

The RS manual is a little confusing. <Without a doubt. If I hadn't had previous experience with a Pro-97, I'd a been lost.>

May need an outside antenna, since I live outside of Sapulpa. <If you live between Kellyville and Sapulpa, put in the Kellyville tower CC's.

Do I need to use a different software and try to program this myself? <Without a doubt! Get the USB programming cable at RS. Then go download Win97 at: Software for RadioShack PRO-series (PRO-92, 93, 95, 96, 97, 99, 163, 164, 106, 197) and GRE PSR-series (PSR-500, 600, 300, 400) scanners DonS lurks here on RR and will gladly help you if you have problems. Plus it has a thirty day free trial. A premium subscription to RR also allows you to download what you want to put in the scanner via the software.>

All help greatly appreciated.

HTH,
Larry

RWS23499

Kellyville Tower CC

Thank you for your reply. How do I put in the tower CC? I am a novice at this new stuff, the old systems were easy to program. New stuff is tough on an old guy, Ha Ha. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.