New to Uniden BCD996 XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

LT1

Premium Subscriber
Hi out there, as many others, I am completely new to the more modern and complex scanners. I was able to scrape along with my PRO-2067 here on Cape Cod so I could listen to the local PD and FD. I now have the new 996XT and I am just looking at it, on my desk, lol. It is heavy, and makes a great paperwieght, but that really isn't why I purchased it....Is there a way just to get started in the right direction? I printed Mark's East to read manual, but at my age, I am still rather lost. I have not purchased a cable or software yet because I may just pack it up and send back. If anyone could help me to get going in a positive direction with this unit, that would be great. Thank you, Larry T.

LordJ

I would suggest PROSCAN software coupled with a Radio Reference Membership. (There is other software, even free ones) This will help you program the scanner. Even better, it will let you look at what's already programmed to get some idea of what's going on in there..The worst thing you could do would be to abandon it...It's a bit of a learning curve, but once you pick it up, you will love it!!!!

kirk23

Pierrefonds (West Island Montreal) Qc Canada
Larry...
I would download freescan..1st its free. But you still need the RS232 cable/adaptor.
Fot help. Google 396xt on you tube. There are several good videos that show you how to operate and program your radio..
Be patient.. its totally different from the old scanners. I have had it for almost 2 yrs qnd i am still learning new things all the time

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
This article from our wiki has links to just about everything you need to get you started. You've already found the Easier to Read manual, but there are several other things you need to know...

Program your DMA Scanner - The RadioReference Wiki

As mentioned in the article, FreeScan (which is freeware) is where a lot of folks start off, and then they can choose to go to ARC-XT or ProScan (which are commercial in nature).

As for files, your best bet is to jump on over to the Scan New England website and ask for one. There may already be some files out there for other NE areas, but they're certainly close enough to get the idea across. Keep in mind that the systems that are pre-programmed in the Uniden scanners are now several years old (in some cases) and largely out of date...

Uniden - Downloads - Scan New England Forums

HTH...Mike

LT1

Premium Subscriber
Thank you everyone, now I have a starting point . What happened to the good old days of paper manuals and quick startup guides? I don't believe it is about saving trees, it's about giving less to the customer. Sorry, but I expect more for $500......

LT1

Premium Subscriber
Wow, this seems like a lot of work just to listen to the local PD & FD. I had no idea. Thank you for helping me on making an informed decision.

LT1

Premium Subscriber
I am getting too old for this. I do appreciate the info from the 3 people who responded, but it sounds as if I need to spend money on a cable and a subscription, plus many hours of learning and programming. Sadly, not what I was expecting. I just don't have the patience for this. Uniden should have something in the box for people such as me, used to older scanners, and need help to understand the new ones.

waremaster

Premium Subscriber
If you look at the radio refference database and tell me what you want on your scanner I am sure I can setup a freescan file for you. Are you able to communicate with the scanner via the serial cable that was suplied with the scanner?

Clark

The complexity of the modern scanner is due to the complexity of radio advancement. Uniden and other modern scanners needed to keep up with technology.

I am only 85 years old and have kept up the newest scanners including the BCD996XT. Don't use age as an excuse. It can be programmed without a computer, but using software makes it a joy to play with and use.
I don't know if Trunking is used in your locality but start with non-trunked (conventional ) systems first and then go from there. Start with Menu/Program Sytem/New Sytem, ETC.

Clark

JoeyC

The 996XT is a great scanner but requires a little know-how to get going. If you aren't willing to invest in learning, the Home Patrol 1 might be more up your alley as it is designed for the newcomer or someone who doesn't want to fiddle with programming, since its pretty much already programmed, you just pick what you want to listen to.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Soapbox time. . .

I've been a scanner listener for 45 years and a public safety responder for 39. When I first joined the fire department, we had one radio channel to use. It was easy and scanning was easy too - all you needed was to plug one crystal in a scanner and away you go.

As time went along, we needed additional radio frequencies because our call for service volume increased and the single channel got way too congested. Plus our alerting tones were being set off on the same frequency used for fireground operations. That's a bad thing - a department down the road was being dispatched to a dumpster fire while we were trying to tell firefighters to evacuate a deteriorating house fire.

As more time progressed, we needed the ability to communicate with other responders - police and EMS. Plus our radio system coverage wasn't the best and since we were a simplex system, we couldn't hear other units talking.

So this means our radio systems got more complex with additional channels and other improvements. Given the finite number of frequencies available, a new creature called trunking came to be.

Thus our once simple single channel radio system has grown into a digital, trunked, simulcast system. All of these changes over those 39 years has tremendously improved our communications capabilities. That improves our safety and makes our operations more efficient. The cost for this improvement in public safety, was it caused challenges for those who like to listen to what we are doing.

As far as scanners go - all they are doing is trying to keep up with what has happened in communications. In other words, scanners are more complicated nowadays because public safety radio communications systems have become more complicated.

While learning how new communications systems (and thus scanners) work can be daunting and intimidating, most folks catch on. I'm as impatient as anyone and can get frustrated when things don't go right the first time, so I can appreciate the sentiment of being intimidated with a newfangled scanner.

But then I tell myself - "If others can figure this stuff out, so can I".

As others have noted, your best options are to get the cabling, programming software (I use ARC XT Pro) and become an RR subscriber. Then you can let your computer do the programming for you. You've already invested hundreds of dollars in an excellent scanner - for a few dollars more you can get the most out of it, with a little effort.

Reactions: LT1

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
LT1:
Let me encourage you to download the free software FreeScan, as someone pointed out above, it is free and it will give you the ability to "see" how the radio is programmed. In addition, it has the ability to grab data from the various DB pages here on the site without having to have a subscription or membership. It does require that you be able to connect the radio to your computer, but the cable that comes with the radio will serve that purpose if you have a serial port or a USB->serial adapter.

Once you have the software and get the radio programed if you feel you want a membership, then certainly get one, the download is easier than the EZGrab facility in the software. If you find the software intimidating, I can assure you that other software is equally intimidating although different will serve the same purpose and all require a learning curve. They all do about the same thing. Don't throw in the towel yet. :)

bear780ks

I am getting too old for this. I do appreciate the info from the 3 people who responded, but it sounds as if I need to spend money on a cable and a subscription, plus many hours of learning and programming. Sadly, not what I was expecting. I just don't have the patience for this. Uniden should have something in the box for people such as me, used to older scanners, and need help to understand the new ones.

LT1 Just as Friendly Suggestion there are places that can program your Scanner if it get's to Complicated to figure out on programming it

I had my 396 Programmed out it Cost me $20.00 i did this because i have not gotten the Set up Software but i will eventually). I will say i have learned allot on my 396 and have programmed a few System's in it the old fashion way with the help of my Fingers :p

But what ever you Decide to do you Got a Great Scanner :cool: Ra

sjlamb

I am getting too old for this. Uniden should have something in the box for people such as me, used to older scanners, and need help to understand the new ones.

They do..... It's called the Home Patrol 1. It's pre-programmed for the entire U.S. and Canada. For a quick listening start; all you need to do is plug in the zip code where you live and set a listening range and you're done.

You can do much more with it as you get used to using it but, for a someone as you describe yourself... it's perfect. Once you open the box and plug it in, you'll be hearing your local public safety agencies in a matter of minutes.

Last edited:

captncarp

Can you return it and get a Home Patrol-1 for about the same price ? I think you would be much happier. Before you order one I would give Scannermaster a call and talk to them, they are very helpful.

davedaver1

Premium Subscriber

I totally agree with Loumaag, Freescan and EZGrab can get you going. Even though I mastered that, having a sub to RR is still totally worth it.

PM me if you want help with Freescan/EZGrab/radio - been there done that - I was ready to sell the 396XT when I first got it. But once you get the hang of these radios, I think you'll like it a lot. The suggestions for an HP-1 may get you listening to SOMEthing, but I really believe the programming aspect is better in the XTs when you want control of the radio. The DMA concept is rough if you're used to traditional programming, but once you "get it", the radio is great. I ended up getting a 996XT also and love them.

scosgt

I agree with the Home Patrol suggestion. You will be up and running in a few minutes and won't need to learn all about trunking.
Cape Cod does need trunking. The MA State Police is a trunked system.

I have three 996T scanners, and they are great machines. But for a newbie, the HP can not be beat. In fact, I have been scanning since the 1960's when the very first Bearcats came out, and I still love the Home Patrol.

LZ56

Premium Subscriber
Modern scanners really are a pain in the patoot, aren't they? But whaddya gonna do? All you can do is keep plunking down big bucks for a scanner that will likely be obsolete in a few years. Fortunately, the insanity will finally end when everyone goes encrypted and we won't be able to hear anything.

Hey, glad I can cheer everyone up. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.