• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

New to us rescue truck with MA/COM radios - Need some help UHF and VHF

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRSpero

Hello, My fire department just purchased a used truck that has MA/COM radios already in it. For our P25 system i have already installed one of our Motorola radios but for the UHF and VHF i would like to recycle these current radios since they get used very little. I was hoping someone could chat with me about about the software i would need to program these and how hard this will be. For UHF we only need to add one conventional freq and VHF maybe 5. Attached are the images of the models we have.

Thanks in advance for any help and i look forward to chatting with someone.

Attachments

• Image.jpg
    Image.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 37
  • Image-1.jpg
    Image-1.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 38
  • Image-2.jpg
    Image-2.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 36
  • Image-14.jpg
    Image-14.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 32

DisasterGuy

Those are old Orion radios. Rather than spending the money on the software and cable, I would recommend finding a Harris shop that is able to just take care of the adds for you

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

JRSpero

I contacted our local harris shop and they told me they did not have the means to do so. Do you know what software and cable would be needed?

DisasterGuy

The software package is known as Programmer for that generation radio. The version needed will depend on the version of firmware in the radios. If I recall the conventional only version is around $325 and you must purchase it directly from Harris Software Services.

The cable is available NOS from NLT New London Technology Online Store

TampaTyron

Beep Boop, Beep Boop
Premium Subscriber
Your local Harris shop does not have the means to program a handful of conventional channels in a 10-15 year old radio? And I thought my local Moto shops were difficult.......... TT

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
Going to be tough being in a Motorola state.

Quote"
Your local Harris shop does not have the means to program a handful of conventional channels in a 10-15 year old radio? And I thought my local Moto shops were difficult.......... TT

That's Harris, a government contractor. They keep the reigns on their radios a lot tighter than mother M. Cable is not a problem you can build one since you can connect directly to the 56 pin connector on the back without a GE Rib box. Look around there are plans out there for it. Based on the firmware you might? be able to find a version of Programmer I think up to ver 16 or 17 that doesn't require on-line registration. Try Yahoo groups, they have an Orion group.

Last edited:

Firebuff880

Have you thought about pulling the radios and taking a day trip up to Lynchburgh VA ?

Also, in Atlanta is Loudoun Communications Inc. if you want to ship them.

If I were doing this, I would go through your NIFOG and do all the Interop UTAC and VTAC as well as what you specifically looking for.

WRCM

I would contact this guy and ask if he has the means to program them: Great Eastern Communications Co | eBay Stores
I have an old GE Phoenix that I wanted programmed. The local radio shop laughed when I showed it to them, and acted like I had dug it up from some ancient archeological site. But this guy had it programmed and back to me within about 3 days.

Last edited:

AI7PM

Premium Subscriber

That's Harris, a government contractor. They keep the reigns on their radios a lot tighter than mother M. Cable is not a problem you can build one since you can connect directly to the 56 pin connector on the back without a GE Rib box. Look around there are plans out there for it. Based on the firmware you might? be able to find a version of Programmer I think up to ver 16 or 17 that doesn't require on-line registration. Try Yahoo groups, they have an Orion group.

Agree with the above comment on Harris. I've been away from (FloriDUH) my exposure to them for about 18 months, but they were becoming a real PIA to the radio manager. Perhaps one reason Motorola got the contract for the county's new P25.

Maybe the Motorola shop would trade them out for you reasonably.

kb4cvn

Silent Key
Nowhere near a paved road, away from the maddening
D2BHCX = 35-50 MHZ, 110 Watt
D2HMCX = 150-174 MHz, 110 Watt
D2UMCX = 440-470 MHz, 50 Watt
D28MCX = 806-870 MHz, 35 Watt
(model number info taken from your photographs...)

Orion Radios are super easy to program !!!

All it requires is a computer with Win-XP or later, Radio Programmer software (TQS-3389, Revision 10 or later the best), and a programming cable (older TQ-3377 w/TQ-3370 interface box, OR, one of the newer cables TQ-3409 / TQ-3410 which don't require an interface box).

You are south of me, down in Wake County. Private Message me to discuss further...

kb4cvn

Silent Key
Nowhere near a paved road, away from the maddening
Going to be tough being in a Motorola state.

Quote"

Harris isn't the company in the private radio systems market it used to be in the GE/Ericsson/etc. days before it was acquired by Harris Corp. Sadly they are trying to run it like their DoD commo business unit. I retired in 2012 from Harris Lynchburg. It has gone down hill since. :cry::cry::cry:

DisasterGuy

Harris isn't the company in the private radio systems market it used to be in the GE/Ericsson/etc. days before it was acquired by Harris Corp. Sadly they are trying to run it like their DoD commo business unit. I retired in 2012 from Harris Lynchburg. It has gone down hill since. :cry::cry::cry:
This right here says it all. You cant run the state / local business the same way you run federal contracts. While the system engineering and sales channels are totally different between state/local and federal and DoD, the overall corporate environment and controls are stuck in the federal mindset. They are still turning out some good products and have some good talent left but it is painful to have to work with the system.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
D2BHCX = 35-50 MHZ, 110 Watt
D2HMCX = 150-174 MHz, 110 Watt
D2UMCX = 440-470 MHz, 50 Watt
D28MCX = 806-870 MHz, 35 Watt
(model number info taken from your photographs...)

Orion Radios are super easy to program !!!

All it requires is a computer with Win-XP or later, Radio Programmer software (TQS-3389, Revision 10 or later the best), and a programming cable (older TQ-3377 w/TQ-3370 interface box, OR, one of the newer cables TQ-3409 / TQ-3410 which don't require an interface box).

You are south of me, down in Wake County. Private Message me to discuss further...

I have sent the thread starter and kb4cvn emalis to hopefully put them in communication with each other as I know them
both outside RR.
Marshall KE4ZNR

KM4GDU

Premium Subscriber
I'm Starting to get these programmed up for them tomorrow. I'm glad to be able to help them help out.

Carl
KM4GDU

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I'm Starting to get these programmed up for them tomorrow. I'm glad to be able to help them help out.

Carl
KM4GDU
Thanks Carl! I still owe you lunch sometime soon!
73 KE4ZNR

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.