NEW TO WS 1065

Status
Not open for further replies.

KA6JBL

Premium Subscriber
I just got a WS 1065 scanner to get back into scanning from many years ago. I am using Win500 to program the radio with. I have no problem with the conventional frequencies but I can't get the Orange County Ca. Fire frequencies (trunking using P25) to work. What am I doing wrong also the S meter bars don't function but the S comes on when I do receive a signal. Are the bars only for a trunking control signal or is there another box I missed to check to make them work? I would appreciate any help I can get. Thank you

tvengr

Well Known Member
Sorry! I have bad news. Orange County Law and Fire are fully encrypted which no scanner can receive. All that is open to receive is Public Works. In the following link, check the Mode column for talkgroups. If you see DE, the capital E stands for full time encryption and cannot be monitored. If receiving the trunked system, you should see a "T" at the top of the scanner display. Countywide Coordinated Communications System (CCCS) (P25) Trunking System, Orange County, California - Scanner Frequencies There are a bunch of talkaround conventional frequencies you can try. If the Mode is P25E or DMR, you cannot receive them. Orange County, California (CA) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

hill

Premium Subscriber

hill

Premium Subscriber
Looks like tvengr and I had the same type of post and information at the same time, plus coming from same County.

N8IAA

I just got a WS 1065 scanner to get back into scanning from many years ago. I am using Win500 to program the radio with. I have no problem with the conventional frequencies but I can't get the Orange County Ca. Fire frequencies (trunking using P25) to work. What am I doing wrong also the S meter bars don't function but the S comes on when I do receive a signal. Are the bars only for a trunking control signal or is there another box I missed to check to make them work? I would appreciate any help I can get. Thank you

The 1065, like my older Pro106/197 scanners, when using Win500, the software sees encryption and won't load it into the scanlist. If you feel the need to hear the noise, you can manually enter the TGID's into the scanner.

The 1065 won't ignore the encrypted TG's like the newer SD card scanners.

Sorry.

KA6JBL

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for your help. I knew about the PD being encrypted but I thought the FD was in the clear. I just didn't check into it far enough.
Back to the second question about the bars on receive level. Do they only show up on trunking systems to show the level of their control channel?

Last edited:

Engine104

Member since 2005
The OCFA Fire Chief keeps saying that they will unencrypt FD comms, but so far it hasn't happened. You can stream them, but that's it. There is an ongoing thread on that in the California/Los Angeles forum on here.

N8IAA

Thanks for your help. I knew about the PD being encrypted but I thought the FD was in the clear. I just didn't check into it far enough.
Back to the second question about the bars on receive level. Do they only show up on trunking systems to show the level of their control channel?

No. They show up on conventional frequencies also. It shows the signal strength of the incoming frequency.
The level of the control channel is viewed when you hold on the trunk system by pressing MAN, the press F2, then F3. It will show the % of signal at that time.

HTH

dispatch235

Premium Subscriber
You may have accidentally changed your signal meter settings.... If you open Win500 and go to extended settings, the lower left shows the RSSI threshold settings... I have done this before myself with a Pro197...
Factory settings are as follows for the WS 1065: (Copied from Mark's Easier to Read Scanner Manual's website)

Bar 1: 190
Bar 2: 230
Bar 3: 260
Bar 4: 290
Bar 5: 320

For more info on all the settings and how to do things on your scanner here is Mark's website

Status
Not open for further replies.