New tool helps NYS Troopers stay alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

John_M

New Tool Helps Troopers Stay Safe
by Cristina Domingues
Photos by Chris Coffey
Published Apr 20, 2008 A New York State Police trooper could be called to action at any moment. Those who work with trained canines always have a friend on their side. But that dog must be able to get out of the car to come to the rescue. "A couple years ago a handler was involved in a traffic stop in the city of Rochester," said Mark O'Donnell of the New York State Police. "The operator of the vehicle attacked the trooper. It was a pretty vicious fight. The dog was unable to get out of the vehicle to assist the handler. Although back-up arrived and he was subsequently arrested, if the dog had been released it would've been a lot better for the handler and a lot worse for the bad guy."

The K-9 Door Popper allows an officer at the touch of a button on a unit clipped onto his or her belt, to open the car door and release the animal.

The fundraising group 10 Ugly Men said this was one tool they wanted to make sure the men and women of the state police had for their safety. They raised the $1,000 to buy the equipment and fit it for the car.

"This is an avenue for him to protect himself so he can go home to his family every night," said Jim Ledsome of "10 Ugly Men". "I think all the cops throughout the state should have one.

There are 66 dogs in NY working for state police.
"We've been equipped with more powerful handguns, expandable batons. Radios are getting updated. There are a lot of steps forward we've been making, and this is another step to keep state police safer," said O'Donnell.

ll/cdo

SCPD

QRT
i thought that this invention has been around for a long time, i think i remember hearing about it before too. i guess it will just be new to the NYSP

bpckty1

Officers are always worried about the Federal Civil Rights Violation Laws. They may be eventually found innocent, but this is always in the back of every officer's mind and does affect how they approach situations, often too cautiously which will allow the bad guy to escalate the incident.

bezking

Database Admin
kb2vxa said:
Why pop a door when you can pop a cap?
+1 on that.

However, the potential consequences from the darned ACLU and the other morons out there justify this thing as a good invention for "backup" while waiting for other units to arrive.

z96cobra

Those devices have been around many years, so it must be that the NYSP are just now using them. I know I've seen them in Galls catalogs for years now.

Roger

jimyleg

holy crap you could make your own if ya wanted to.. Sweet invention though, nothing beats and angry shepherd.. As i see in the pic.. :r

Status
Not open for further replies.