New topics for potential wiki coverage

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfab

This may be off topic, but I think we should add a section where people can upload their files for various radios. This may also be something that could be used for beginners, just to get them started. What does everyone else think?

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Scanner files

This may be off topic, but I think we should add a section where people can upload their files for various radios. This may also be something that could be used for beginners, just to get them started. What does everyone else think?
I have always felt that we should have a section specifically for "scanner files" (.spg, .p95, .p97, etc), but I don't think that is part of the Wiki.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
No such animal in the wiki - while an article could be coded, we'd need someplace to physically store the files. Scan New England has the approach of an entire forum devoted just to programming files. The closest we come is the link below. Also keep in mind that often folks put programming files in the scanner's Yahoo group's files area...

Programming Files - The RadioReference Wiki

73 Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Y'know I was reading threads about the BC898, and how horrible the manual is to work with.

Redoing the manual in the wiki would be a huge job, I'm sure, but with several people working on it, likely as not it would come out much better than the Uniden offering. Just a thought....

Even posting a 'programming tips' series of articles for the 898 would work. Anything to replace the manual....

73 Mike

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I mentioned in an earlier thread about how the wiki can be used to hold material that can be researched, and maintained, by the users. Well here's an example of one such use.

Not long ago a list of Fire Tone Outs for 4 New England states appeared in the Vermont forum. I've probably missed a community here and there (my eyes are starting to cross, hi), but this data has been entered into the wiki in the articles linked below. New Englanders are encouraged to research, and validate this data. Once done, I have all this data in spreadsheets that can go to the database admins.

Maine Fire Tone Out - The RadioReference Wiki

Massachusetts Fire Tone Out - The RadioReference Wiki

New Hampshire Fire Tone Out - The RadioReference Wiki

Vermont Fire Tone Out - The RadioReference Wiki

73 Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Just a brief follow up on the FTO articles - they were deleted as the data they were based on was actually from an uncredited copyrighted source - which is not allowed here. My apologies to anyone who was offended, or confused, on this topic. It will most certainly be watched more closely in the future 73 Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.