New & totally frustrated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cliffaz780

Premium Subscriber
I bought a scanner RS pro-164... with anticipated excitement as we had a fire the other day and would have known nothing except the planes were buzzing my house @ about 300 feet!!!

So I went to see what was happening and saw a small group of people watching the firemen do a great job!
One person in the crowd had a scanner and I thought WOW that is so smart!

Hence I went and bought one only to find out it wont work without programming it! SO I ended up back at radio shack and unfortunately the sales person really knew nothing about scanners... In fact I asked her for a USB cord to plug my scanner in to the PC and was told they dont make one of those!!! So I explained a little further that it was on the website... and while I was looking it up on my iphone, she confirmed that they did not have "one of those" in the store... so I said I wanted to program my scanner using the PC... (I know it is really the same thing I said when I walk into the store), and she said they have the software right over here... walking to it she said it even has a plug that allows you to hook it to the PC!!! I swear I slapped myself in the forehead! :)

So I get home... download the drivers, install the ARC300 and buy it as well as the 180 day subscription... and nothing works...!!!

I tried to download the data from the software and this is what happens:

it can’t read user info... INIT not ok, can’t read user data

I open software...
Click on Internet...
Click on Radio reference import... it says “wait connecting”
Then it says on the bottom of that window... “INIT not ok, can’t read user data
I click connect and nothing happens!!!

So being totally new to this, I find the support request page and ask for help to only get told:

"A firewall is blocking the software to access the web/database.
Please add the ARC software to the safelist of your firewall.

Regards,

software support"

After another day of trying to make this work and turning off my firewall completely I still get the same msg and my headache is growing!!!

If anyone can please help I would be very appreciative!!!

Firewall is off and nothing still!!!

I am in Warner Springs, CA on the Riverside/San Diego border

Thanks, Cliff

Last edited:

cliffaz780

Premium Subscriber
I have windows windows 7 and it has a firewall that I didnt even know I had... so I disabled it and still had no luck!

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
There are other programs available for programming that scanner. I am fairly certain each of them comes with a 30 day free trial, although the number of downloads may be limited. But considering you're stuck right now, and you've got the cable and the membership to RR; I'd try one of the other programs to see they can import from RR. Info on other programs here.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Hey Cliff, did you ever get the scanner to connect?

Paul Anderegg

Status
Not open for further replies.