New tower at Carroll County

Status
Not open for further replies.

radiobison

Looks like someone is stacking a new radio tower at the Carroll County detention center. Anyone have any idea who is stacking the tower and what it's for?

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
A quick search on antennasearch.com yielded this result as maybe a possibility. Looks like it shows, on there, as 'unregistered' but then has a filing number so that's odd. Anyway, does this look like it might be the one you're seeing? Has a filing date from back in January so that would make sense.

I think you're going to have to resort to asking some locals or checking your local newspaper as it likely would have been discussed in a quorum court meeting or something if they were going to built a tower like that...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-06-16 at 8.20.30 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-06-16 at 8.20.30 AM.png
    61 KB · Views: 157

nd5y

nd5y

For existing towers that need to be registered in the FCC Antenna Structure Registration database because of height or location you can get Google Earth then go to FCCInfo - Now on Google Earth! and download their tool. One of the things it does is display the FCC ASR in Google Earth.

Not all towers are required to be registered in the FCC ASR or FAA obstruction databases.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external/searchAction.jsp?action=displayOECase&oeCaseID=349430779&row=0
Description of Location: To be installed on east side of Carroll County Detention Center within the secure fence area.
Description of Proposal: Free-standing radio tower to be used in conjunction with newly installed dispatch center. This application is a request in height for original application 2017-ASW-14290-OE

There are no FCC applications yet for this location.

OK so it looks like it's just for the dispatch consoles, etc., to be on the existing system. Good to know.

For existing towers that need to be registered in the FCC Antenna Structure Registration database because of height or location you can get Google Earth then go to FCCInfo - Now on Google Earth! and download their tool. One of the things it does is display the FCC ASR in Google Earth.

Not all towers are required to be registered in the FCC ASR or FAA obstruction databases.

And, as they say, you learn something new everyday. Very handy!

nd5y

OK so it looks like it's just for the dispatch consoles, etc., to be on the existing system. Good to know.
There is no way to tell yet. You will need to watch for FCC license application(s) and see what frequencies, modes, station types, etc. are applied for.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Unless they go to a whole new system, they will just add a new site to the existing networks. Expect a MOD on the existing licenses very soon if the structure is going up. Or an NEW lic. Nothing has been filed recently that I can find.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
I suspect it is simply for antennas for the dispatch consoles. Same as what happened in Independence County when they moved to their current location - a tower went up next to the building and there are about a dozen different antennas on it for their consoles and other radios inside. Not a "site" on a system, just a tower like I have outside my ham shack.

I could be wrong but this is my suspicion based on the wording of what nd5y pasted in post 3.

radiobison

New tower

I did a bit of research, found out the dispatch center for Carroll County is located in the courthouse buiding in downtwon Berryville. The new tower is located at the Detention Center, seversl miles south.

Will keep poking around, see what else I can dig up.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
I suspect it is simply for antennas for the dispatch consoles. Same as what happened in Independence County when they moved to their current location - a tower went up next to the building and there are about a dozen different antennas on it for their consoles and other radios inside. Not a "site" on a system, just a tower like I have outside my ham shack.

I could be wrong but this is my suspicion based on the wording of what nd5y pasted in post 3.

Any antenna location that is used for transmission and receive on a radio system is a site. Business, SMR, and Public Safety are required to license every single antenna site. Mobiles are just a broad coverage that has the number, and a geographic area of use. ALL Repeater, Base etc antenna locations must have an specific location listed that includes the type of structure, height of antenna on it (as well as overall height above sea level), GPS coordinates etc... Ham systems are another animal and unless you put up a antenna tower of a certain height requiring its mapping by the FCC and FAA there is no special licensing for it. (I believe that it is if you put your own tower that is 100 feet or higher ?)

Last edited by a moderator:

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Well, the searches I've done to locate the local antenna towers that I know are at dispatch locations in our county show nothing - the local Ambulance service has one at their location that is probably 60' tall and then a few blocks away at the county's central dispatch center there is one about the same height with multiple antennas on it (what I was talking about before) that shows up in no searches, either. The "locations" listed on their licenses show the locations of the repeater antennas only and not these 'towers' at the dispatch locations.

As I said, these are not "sites" on a radio system (like you'd program up for a trunked system) but rather just like my antenna mast next to my house that I use with ham radio. Yes, I know ham is different from commercial or pub safety but my point is these locations aren't listed on the licenses (because you seemed to imply they would be).

If the one at Carroll Co is listed then maybe it is, indeed, a site on the existing or a new system.

Speaking of that one... has anything been in the local news about it? Are their quorum court or whatever minutes posted online somewhere? I would think that expense would have been voted on by that group or some group...and maybe further info would be in those minutes.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
But they MUST have the address and phone number for each Control Point. Hence.. Still listed. See the example. No exact map site due to the rule, but still have the site addy and phone number as is required. Lets say your Control Point is the SO.. Your Fixed Control Site meets the special rule, but you must still list the SO location and phone number on the lic. :) The fun ones are the ones that ONLY have the Controls on one lic... And a completely separate lic for the mobiles... You grab a bottle of Anacin on systems like those.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
But they MUST have the address and phone number for each Control Point. Hence.. Still listed. See the example. No exact map site due to the rule, but still have the site addy and phone number as is required. Lets say your Control Point is the SO.. Your Fixed Control Site meets the special rule, but you must still list the SO location and phone number on the lic. :) The fun ones are the ones that ONLY have the Controls on one lic... And a completely separate lic for the mobiles... You grab a bottle of Anacin on systems like those.

Yes, the CP location is listed on the license but it doesn't mention anything about a structure there (i.e. tower or antenna).

Oh well, this is off topic from the OP so moving on.

Status
Not open for further replies.