New Tower Behind Abilene DPS

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

trunkerman63

Does anyone here in Abilene know what the new tower is for right behind the DPS office on Industrial? It's pretty tall. I saw some antennas on it today and they look like the ones DPS would use.

Thanks-

redhelmet13

I would presume it would be for DPS communications. Watch the FCC database for any license or tower modifications for DPS-ABI...

sudsyjkh

I heard unit 5047 [maybe a radio tech]? doing a bunch of radio checks around 22:00-23:00 tonight. He would radio the Abilene dispatch every 8-10 miles to see how he was being copied. Each time dispatch could read him 10-2.

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
Units with the second digit of 0 are usually sergeants and above.

Unit #000 would be the region commander (a major I think), then sequentially from there are the subregion commanders. 5001, is the captain in charge of the region 5, subregion 1 office. 5002, the captain in charge of the region 5, subregion 2 office, etc. Usually for sergeants, the third digit indicates the subregion they belong to, so 5047 would be a a region 5 sergeant, in subregion 4, the 7th highest sergeant in that subregion.

This is how I understood it to be, back in the days before they changed their regions.

ericsnowman8

Premium Subscriber
Does anybody monitor the dps with a p-25 scanner? What goes on on their radios?

sudsyjkh

The dps are very busy in the Abilene area. You will hear them dispatched to accidents, running vehicles/people, pretty much whatever the dps does you'll hear it. A lot of their stuff is done on mobile work stations, but they still use the radios quite a bit.
And with the way the radios are set up now, the listener can hear both sides of the conversation when it is between the dps office and local cars.
-Johnny

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
Interesting as around Dallas the radio is used MUCH less than before. Guess the MDT is kept busy and whenever they use a radio on a local or county system as opposed to their own. I have heard DPS units on the Denton Co, system many times.

cleve

nd5y

There are no new FCC applications so there will probably not be any new frequencies.
All I could find is the FAA obstruction study.
https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external/searchAction.jsp?action=displayOECase&oeCaseID=128469139

I found this application today.
ULS Application - Public Safety Pool, Conventional - 0005075543 - TEXAS, STATE OF (DPS) - Locations Summary
Click on the Location and Frequencies tabs to see what they are changing.
It appears that the new tower is replacing the one on a hill 15 miles SE of Abilene.

Frequencies for the new tower are:
155.4525 repeater (Base D)
159.0900 repeater (probably CLE)
154.6875 control station (probably for Brownwood repeater)
153.8675 control station for Lorain repeater
155.3700 base (Texas Law 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.