• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

New transceiver help

Status
Not open for further replies.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
. The CTCSS codes for both transmitting and receiving are properly set on the BF (67.0). I don't know what else I can do. Only question I haven't addressed and cross checked is the tone question.

Two things I can think of. Does your work use a repeater? If so, then you will have different transmit and receive freqs, and could have different CTCSS assigned to each.

Sent via Tapatalk

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
The Motorola detects that there is a transmission coming from the BF. The CTCSS codes for both transmitting and receiving are properly set on the BF (67.0). I don't know what else I can do. Only question I haven't addressed and cross checked is the tone question. No idea what that even is, again, as a new operator.

Hazy -

You've given us a hint as to the possible problem. It appears as if the transmit tone on the Baofeng is the issue. To confirm that the tone is the problem - do this... While transmitting on your Baofeng, press the MON button on the Motorola. If you can hear the Baofeng when you do this, it indicates that the Baofeng may not be transmitting a CTCSS tone, or perhaps the wrong one.

As I've said previously, the Baofeng radios must be programmed in a particular way (which is NOT intuitive). If I recall correctly, the Baofeng CTCSS tone can be set only during the actual channel programming process. Although you can adjust the tone setting (menu 13) at any time, it does not actually change the tone being transmitted.

Check your Baofeng manual (or the Miklor.com site online) to confirm that you are programming your desired channel and tone in the correct sequence. If you don't program the channel properly, the tone function might not work and you will not be able to hear the Baofeng on the Motorola radio.

Keep us advised.

John

kk6rq

I'm betting bharvey2 nailed it; check Menu-25 (Shift Direction/"SFT-D"). If it's set to +or -, change it to OFF (simplex).

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Hazy

Well, I'm thinking about just keeping it around for a scanner now. I've been up and down the milkor pages, have tried manual and PC programming, am positive I have the correct CTCSS codes for transmitting and receiving, along with the right frequency. The company uses no repeaters. Still getting transmissions to my BF clear as day from the motorolas, and they're detecting a transmission is in progress from the BF, but there's no audio transmitting from the BF to the motorolas. I hear static when monitoring, but the static stops when the BF is transmitting, though I still hear nothing on the motorola side. This is the most irritating thing I've dealt with thusfar in terms of getting things to work together. Plus I feel kinda dumb for not just being able to input the frequency, and CTCSS codes, and have it work. I've not found any transmit inhibitor, either.

Hazy

I'm using regular BF programming software, but I'll definitely try CHIRP out. Because I really (and the business as well) wanna use the BF, as it'd free up a radio and they're short on radios as is. They went so far as to tell the other officer workin here that they wanted him to get a radio. So far, the only thing he's been able to say is "well it didn't work for him, so I'm not gonna get one" I really wanna get it to work so he has no leg to stand on anymore.

lmrtek

The only thing you may gain is more power output on the Baofeng but the Motorola has .18uv sensitivity compared to .35 for the Baofeng so the Motorola is 6db better on receive and it likely won't be desensed like the Baofeng

Plus, if something would occur on the job that caused injury or loss of life because your Baofeng didn't work, you and your company could be sued

Rred

Hazy-
I've no idea what your employer is using the radios for, rashly guessing that's a Part90 licensed business system? If it is only using one channel, I think you can buy a clean used "real" radio from Motorola, Kenwood, Icom, etc. that will do a much better job at half the cost of a new radio.
The BaoFeng's present some liability problems for a business, as there are very few that are legal for most uses, even if they are unlikely to be caught. (Corporate types tend to get upset about the odds.) And as noted, there are also real performance differences. The software in those Chinese radios is pretty good, but it can't do the job of the actual hardware bits in the commercial licensed brands.
You could look at that the same way you might look at commercial food handling: What you do in your own kitchen, at hand, just isn't going to be accepted in the food service industry. The reasons aren't always obvious but they should be considered.
If that's all old news..."nevermind". It is just something that needs to be considered, if the business is going to start telling people to supply radios for anything more than casual personal listening. The lack of any real "factory" support on most of the imported radios is just the tip of the iceburg.
And, many of the vendors of clean used commercial radios will include programming, to match the business license terms or yours, so that's one less thing to puzzle out.

RFI-EMI-GUY

I just checked the FCC, Miklor and Baofeng's own website and see no Part 90 certification for the Baofeng BF-F8HP. I doubt it is certified for Part 90 since the radio manual indicates there is a VFO function.

My advice to new owners of these radios who are trying to use them for work. Get your money back and buy a good used radio made by one of the more reputable LMR radio manufacturers.

A a couple of thoughts on this particular thread. First off all, I think the OP is reading the frequency code wrong. Looking through the manual of the Motorola CLS radio (pdf link provided by the OP earlier in the thread), the frequency code listed next to the channel number only has one value (refer to page 25 of the manual). I believe what the OP has been reading as Frequency=5, Code=1, is actually just a code of 51. Looking at the manual again on page 48, it lists the Digital Interference Eliminator code of 51 as 073, which on the Baofeng would be R-DCS and T-DCS in the menu and setting them both to D073.

Secondly, a couple of people were questioning the F8 as being part 90 compliant. It is not. However, the Baofeng UV-82C is Part 90 certified and can be used for commercial purposes but uses the same programming software/cable as other Baofeng radios.

Status
Not open for further replies.