• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

New transceiver help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazy

So I got gifted a baofeng BF-F8HP. Really fun. Figured I'd take it to work, as I work armed security, and use it there, as the radios provided by work are bottom of the bucket, and their audio quality is extremely shoddy. So I try programming it correctly, but can't seem to find the proper settings. The type of radio I'm trying to connect with is a Motorola CLS 1410. It's on channel 3, which I've seen to mean 467.7625. Check. Bandwidth of 12.5 which I've also accounted for. The display has frequency 5, code 1. I've figured the code 1 means CTCSS 67.0, both (t)ransmitting and (r)ceiving. I can't figure on what the frequency display is for though, thus where I think I'm missing a step. Any help would be greatly appreciated, and to the Mods, if I posted in the wrong area, please forgive me. Thanks all!

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
Moved to Budget and Entry Level Transceivers forum for better visibility.

Hazy

If that's what the frequency number is, then yeah. And also where to input it in the menu on my particular radio

Hazy

I've set everything up, as far as I know, correctly, yet when I attempt to transmit from either unit, the other doesn't pick it up. I have the ctcss code set properly (code 1 corresponds to 67.0 Hz), and the frequency, but there's obviously something I'm missing. I feel like I'm only accounting for 2 variables on a 3 variable issue. The Motorola, on powerup, displays a big number 3 (which is the actual frequency, 467.7625, I tune the baofeng to) a small number with the word frequency underneath it (frequency 5), and then a number of the same size with the word "code" (which is the interference eliminator code). I've matched everything up with what the online PDF for the Motorola that I can, but there's no mention of a frequency code. The PDF mentions a bandwidth of 12.5, which I also believe I've properly matched up. The PDF can be found here: https://www.motorolasolutions.com/c...s/cls_series_radios/cls_series_user_guide.pdf
Pages 48-53 are what I'm using. They're just not picking eachother up. I'm just stumped...

Hazy

Yeah. Channel 3, the actual transmission frequency, frequency 5, whatever that means, code 1, which is the ctcss code 67.0Hz. Trying to figure what frequency 5 means. Could it be it transmits and receives on different frequencies?

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
So I got gifted a baofeng BF-F8HP. Really fun. Figured I'd take it to work, as I work armed security, and use it there, as the radios provided by work are bottom of the bucket, and their audio quality is extremely shoddy. So I try programming it correctly, but can't seem to find the proper settings. The type of radio I'm trying to connect with is a Motorola CLS 1410. It's on channel 3, which I've seen to mean 467.7625. Check. Bandwidth of 12.5 which I've also accounted for. The display has frequency 5, code 1. I've figured the code 1 means CTCSS 67.0, both (t)ransmitting and (r)ceiving. I can't figure on what the frequency display is for though, thus where I think I'm missing a step. Any help would be greatly appreciated, and to the Mods, if I posted in the wrong area, please forgive me. Thanks all!

In your post, you say that the work radio is set to channel 3, but then you say that the work radio display says frequency 5. code 1. According to the Motorola manual, frequency 5 is 467.850 and code 1 is 67.0 Hz.

Here is a site that has lots of information about programming the Baofeng F8...

F8HP 8W - Miklor

John

Hazy

In your post, you say that the work radio is set to channel 3, but then you say that the work radio display says frequency 5. code 1. According to the Motorola manual, frequency 5 is 467.850 and code 1 is 67.0 Hz.

Here is a site that has lots of information about programming the Baofeng F8...

F8HP 8W - Miklor

John

The main number on the display is 3. Then it displays "freq" 5 and code 1.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Hazy -

It is apparent that your Motorola is capable of operation on four channels, each of which can be programmed to operate on a particular factory-determined frequency and PL code.

If you refer to page 32 of the pdf, you will note that the factory default programming for channel (position) 3 is frequency 5 and code 1... as is noted on the radio display when channel 3 is selected.

Therefore, your personal radio should be set to operate on frequency 467.850 (frequency 5) and CTCSS 67.0 Hz (code 1).

Don't confuse the term "channel" with "frequency". One is commonly used to describe a switch position and the other describes an actual operating frequency.

John

Hazy

So in tinkering with it, I tried ignoring the main display number, and instead focused on the frequency and code numbers. That made it so my personal radio picked up the transmissions clear as day, but when I tried transmitting from my radio (the Baofeng to the Motorola), I got nothing. Both R and T CTCSS codes on my radio are properly set. Any suggestions from here?

chief21

Premium Subscriber
I'm not familiar with the F8, so I can't help you with that. I do know that, in general, the Baofengs can be difficult to program by hand, so review the process carefully to make sure that you are transmitting on the correct frequency with your F8.

One quick way to check if you are transmitting correctly with the F8 is by using the monitor (mon) function on the Motorola radio.
===================================================
From the manual...

Talking and Receiving
Basic Radio Operation
1. Press and hold (mon) to check for channel activity. If you hear static, the channel is
clear to use. Do not transmit if someone is speaking on the channel. Press (mon) again to stop monitoring.
====================================================================

While pressing and HOLDING the (mon) button and transmitting with your F8 at the same time, you should hear the signal from your F8.

>> If you DO hear something, that means your F8 is probably not transmitting the CTCSS code. (perhaps you set the CTCSS frequency, but did you also activate the tone?)

>> If you DON'T hear something, that means that your F8 is probably not set to transmit on the correct frequency. (check your TX settings)

One more question... Exactly HOW are you entering frequency and CTCSS info into the F8? Manually?? Computer program??

John

Last edited:

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Or you can use a scanner with Close Call (Uniden) or Signal Stalker (Whistler) feature which will detect the frequency and any CTCSS tone or DCS code.

Rred

It is possible the BF has "transmit inhibit" set as a default, so you can't transmit on that channel, or any channels. You need to make sure transmission is enabled, and then also check that you are set to using a legal power level.
I'm not sure, but a fast look says that BF radio is only legal as a ham radio, used properly by a licensed ham operator. That may not matter to you, but your company may have some objections to an unlicensable personal radio, unless you set it up (as it apparently is) to prevent transmissions.
Not arguing, just making sure you're aware of it. Some companies won't care, others could use it as an excuse for termination with cause.

bharvey2

If you haven't confirmed it already, make sure that your transmit and receive frequencies are the same. I'm not familiar with your model of radio but it might be assuming an offset and transmitting on a different frequency (say 5mhz below your receive frequency)

Hazy

So I don't see anything in any manuals on the BF side about inhibiting the transmission. Still picking up the Motorola radio clear as day on the BF, but nothing from the BF to the Motorola. I've set the BF's frequency type from VHF to UHF, as the Moto-manual specifies, and transmission type to narrow (12.5) band. The Motorola detects that there is a transmission coming from the BF. The CTCSS codes for both transmitting and receiving are properly set on the BF (67.0). I don't know what else I can do. Only question I haven't addressed and cross checked is the tone question. No idea what that even is, again, as a new operator.

Status
Not open for further replies.