New Trunking System in Western MA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonsmth

Today, I was browsing FCC licenses and noticed that a rather large group of frequencies were assigned to Commonwealth of Massachusetts under two call signs: WQLV701 and WQLV702 on February 27, 2020. A note on the entry states: "Applicant is adding Nationwide 800mhz interoperability frequencies." WQLV701 lists two towers whereas WQLV702 lists 6 towers. One of the towers under WQLV702 is close to my home in Peru, MA. Does anyone know the purpose of this assignment? Perhaps a nationwide interoperability enhancement to the current CoMIRS system?

ghoward02

Feed Provider
That looks like CoMIRS expansion / upgrades probably in preparation for the Franklin County migration. WQLV701 location #5 is the Mt. Toby fire tower which already carries FRCOG frequencies.

I live at the base of Mt. Toby so I'll try to keep an eye out for new frequency activity from those licenses in the coming months.

jonsmth

I programmed the frequencies for Peru, MA into my scanner last night, and picked up what sounded like Mass State Police on one of the frequencies, so some of these are active.

EricHoffman

I am guessing its for the MSP expansion on their 800 system. They are going to upgrade the system statewide to a P25 trunking system starting in western Ma. The interoperability might be for UTAC channels and local expansion for small town coverage.

EricHoffman

It looks like Franklin County Police/fire departments are going to use the COMIRS/State PD system. Simulcast from UHF for now? I am not 100 % on the particulars

ghoward02

Feed Provider
Just realized the 853.3375 is the existing control channel for the 'Western Mass North' CoMIRS site. I'm already receiving that with the help of a yagi pointed up towards Shelburne.

So it looks like they're possibly preparing to expand it out to a P25 simulcast system to match the existing FRCOG UHF coverage and locality..

cg

Premium Subscriber
Those are simply renewals for the existing system. The original license was issued in 2010. If you look at the Admin Tab on the FCC license pages, it shows a renewal with new Callsign. No new frequencies, no new locations.

chris

EricHoffman

expansion for p25 is coming, I believe it has started to convert? I live in Eastern Ma and cant hear them.

Last edited:

jonsmth

Just realized the 853.3375 is the existing control channel for the 'Western Mass North' CoMIRS site. I'm already receiving that with the help of a yagi pointed up towards Shelburne.

So it looks like they're possibly preparing to expand it out to a P25 simulcast system to match the existing FRCOG UHF coverage and locality..

ghoward02, I realized the same thing. all of the 852mhz to 853mhz freqs are the same freqs on the "Western Mass North tower in Berkshire County. These freqs in the new licenses are listed for Peru MA which makes me think perhaps CoMIRS is going to create a simulcast of the Western MA North site in Peru.

ghoward02

Feed Provider
Simulcast would be nice as right now I need to use an LNA, yagi, or combination of the two to receive the Shelburne P25 signal very well from either Greenfield or Sunderland. Both locations receive FRCOG UHF simulcast loud & clear indoors and out.

Re: FRCOG/FCECS -> CoMIRS migration - I do know the capacity testing via analog patches has revealed occasional lack of available voice channels in the current P1 FDMA configuration. That most likely means all the migration phases (https://frcog.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/FCECS-CoMIRS-Draft-Migration-Plan.pdf) will be pushed back until the state can complete P2 TDMA upgrades.

cg

Premium Subscriber
Peru has been licensed for both North and South since they put in the system. I am fairly certain that they built out both Simulcast sites there. Again, there are no changes in those licenses

Status
Not open for further replies.