New TRX-1/What Software to Program

Status
Not open for further replies.

TexasStar15

My TRX-1 will be here tomorrow and I'm looking for the best & easiest software to program it with. Any suggestions? Don't mind paying for it if it's easy and simple. Thanks

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
There is only one the free EZ Scan from Whistler

TexasStar15

I guess EZ Scan it is, just didn't look like very user friendly software to me and all the video's I watched on You Tube were rather confusing or didn't really go into much detail about using the software. Oh well, forward we go :)

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
@TexasStar15 it really is not difficult to use once you get used to it. You can download the software and start learning/programming with it even before your new scanner arrives. When the scanner arrives be sure to run the all updates to make sure everything is current. Finally, when transferring the configuration to the scanner, it is a lot quicker and more reliable if you remove the SD card and copy to the SD cardt through the computer's SD card slot (with adapter if needed) rather than with the SD card in the scanner.

If you have any questions we will try to help, though a search on the forums should answer most of your questions. Here is an easy how to guide I made for programming trunked systems, just substitute your system for the one in the example.

Attachments

• USING EZ SCAN TO IMPORT TRUNKED SYSTEMS.pdf
    731.9 KB · Views: 158

Premium Subscriber
I guess EZ Scan it is, just didn't look like very user friendly software to me and all the video's I watched on You Tube were rather confusing or didn't really go into much detail about using the software. Oh well, forward we go :)

Agree 100% to this. EZ-Scan isn't that "EZ" and the YouTube videos did not provide much detail.

But.... after much playing with the software, it all of a sudden made sense. I've got a TRX-1 coming today (yippee) so I've been attempting to get
EZ-Scan all set up and ready for it over the weekend.

Good luck!

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
If you choose the zip code method for the first programming, it will get you listening the quickest. That will also help you determine what services have radio traffic and what are mostly silent. From there you can move on to the more detailed choices. Get 2 or 3 sd cards, one for the radio, one for backup, and one for experimenting. An 8 gb card is more than adequate for the entire database and some recording. The fastest way to prepare a card is with an adapter plugged directly into a usb port. Programming into the radio is much slower.

Swipesy

EZScan is extremely powerful and simple to use. It has some limitations due to DRM placed on the developers. The reason people have initial problems with EZScan is the people not the software. If you take the time to understand the architecture of the radio you are trying to program then the software is very intuitive and powerful. But human nature is to blame the product and not the user. It all started when IBM laid on people the biggest lie ever when PC's first came out. Push the "on" button and everything you want to do will happen - fake news, lol.

paulmo101

Hi
Try the youtube videos by Airshow world - they helped me get started -
Thats just a link to one video on using the menus but he`s also done a few videos on using the software to program the TRX. It looks daunting but its not so bad when you get started. Buy a couple of spare 8 Gig SD cards, I use the sandisk class 4 and they work fine. Before you change anything make a copy of your original SD card. I used my PC and a card reader as I found that easier. Then store either the copy or your original card somewhere safe and if a card gets corrupted you`ve got a backup. Loads of help on here as well Enjoy

K9DAK

Premium Subscriber
EZScan is extremely powerful and simple to use. It has some limitations due to DRM placed on the developers. The reason people have initial problems with EZScan is the people not the software. If you take the time to understand the architecture of the radio you are trying to program then the software is very intuitive and powerful. But human nature is to blame the product and not the user. It all started when IBM laid on people the biggest lie ever when PC's first came out. Push the "on" button and everything you want to do will happen - fake news, lol.

Yep, this ^^^^! I grew up programming scanners (and ham radios) by hand, before there were scanners that could be programmed via software. Anytime I get a new radio, I always take time to program it first by hand... even if it's just a couple conventional freqs and a control channel & a few TGs of a trunked system. That pays dividends later as you will be able to correlate what the software is doing vs. what you'd do by hand. Also, if you have to add a freq or TG on the fly without access to a computer, you've already done it, so it should be easy-peasy.

DJ11DLN

If you've never used it before, E-Z Scan looks intimidating...but it's not really that difficult to use. I used a version of it to program my first-ever digital trunking scanner, in fact the first scanner I owned that could be programmed via computer. I'd been away from scanning for several years at the time and other than doing some radio programming for the VFD (conventional analog gear, nothing trunked) I was starting fresh. And I had my new scanner up and running in about 40 minutes. Follow the advice others have given you here and you'll be fine. If you hit a snag, post back, there are tons of folks on this site who are more than willing to help out.

CycleSycho

:) Like above, the advice is excellent! The best way to learn the scanner is doing it. One extra bit of advice, when you do run into a problem and come in to ask for help PLEASE give as much information as you can (what your trying to do, and what happened that didn't work). This helps find the step or steps that might be missed or needed to get you going. Good luck! :)

TexasStar15

Agree 100% to this. EZ-Scan isn't that "EZ" and the YouTube videos did not provide much detail.

But.... after much playing with the software, it all of a sudden made sense. I've got a TRX-1 coming today (yippee) so I've been attempting to get
EZ-Scan all set up and ready for it over the weekend.

Good luck!
Took me a day of playing with it but it's coming together. Not really that hard once you use it for awhile. Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.